Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

@tlcocks Not entirely true TL. Room control is going to change amplitude response across the entire audio band and it will give you a flat system to start with. All the Room Control units I know of also allow users to control amplitude just like an equalizer or by using target curves. Your preference settings will be different after room control is set up.

Understood. Thanks. Room correct to flat. Then impose target curves to tonal preference. The second part for me is the hearing is believing part. If I’m gonna tonally adjust in the digital domain, I’ve gotta hear that it is as 3D and saturated sounding, and as musical, as analog. Gotta hear a DEQX in action. Let me know where I can. You know how to reach me. 

I would like the opinion of those using EQs on whether an EQ can assist with hearing differences between left and right ears.. in my case the left is more deficient than the right that shows minimal age-related decline. I have seen elsewhere that this might be a better solution than a single hearing aide.

Besides needing to differentially apply EQ to left and right, I tend to switch from listening with speakers in front for critical listening to speakers behind me as I work. Therefore, I need a solution that can quickly be set to reverse (mirrored) application. Any advice/guidance would be most appreciated!

I would think high quality EQ would be very useful in this use case. Might sound more natural than compensating with a hearing aid. I admit to knowing more about EQ than hearing aids though!  I believe some hearing aids utilize digital EQ, if I’m not mistaken 

For sure you are right !

I will trust more analog EQ too than this panels behind my ears...These panels are like my wood foldable screen, a device i used in my room , i could not use it without a balance between absorption-reflection-and diffusion in the room and on the foldable  screen... ...

And hearing aids use digital EQ for creating tailor made hearing aids for specific frequencies loss...

Psychoacoustics rule audio in any form...

I would think high quality EQ would be very useful in this use case. Might sound more natural than compensating with a hearing aid. I admit to knowing more about EQ than hearing aids though!  I believe some hearing aids utilize digital EQ, if I’m not mistaken