EMM Lab CDSD transport motor resonating

Has anyone experienced any sort of resonating sound coming from their CDSD when playing certain CDs. This has happenned to me on two discs, the latest one with "Shirley Eikhard - Stay Open, Track 1 - Take It To The Max". I assume it has something to do with the rotation speed of the transport on that given track, because it slowly fades away past the 2 minute mark, and doesn't occur on any other track. It is extremely annoying and surprising for a $7K transport. I'm starting to wonder if I need to send it back, but I'm hesitating considering how difficult it has been to get it in the first place.
nikki
Nikki,

My CDSD went back to Calgary last week via FedEx. I also sent two CD's that were problematic. Within 2 days my dealer nicely called me and told me that they had checked out machine at emmlabs. THey could definitely hear what I was complaining about. Yet, when they had the machine opened up they determined the transport was working normally. In fact, I was told it was compared to two or 3 other machines (including a new one) and it was no more noisey than the others. I was told part of the problem relates to how the Philips transport works. Regardless of whether the disc is a CD or SACD, it spins at SACD speeds. THe early tracks are read from the inside at a higher speed and the speed slows as it reads outward. THis explains why the noise goes away with later tracks. If you have an unbalanced disc, it will apparently make a noise at this faster speed... this is not a problem with the transport I'm told. So, the solution will be replacing the top, for one of the newer ones without ventilation holes and increased insulation. I think you had some of the same issues. So, I am just waiting for the CDSD and my discs to be shipped back to Eastern Canada so I can see if it is satisfactorily fixed. It sounds like you are happier that yours is now quieter. Time will tell. I hope so.
Hi Thom_y,
Hope it all works out for you.

The ventilation holes are very problematic for allowing mechanical noises to escape. When they replaced my CDSD with the newer Philips drive, they did not have the new cases, so my transport still has these vents. I used Dynamat to plug them up and it has made a huge difference. Any mechanical noises that I still hear are only coming through the drawer now.

What's strange (but in a postive way) is that ever since they fixed my issue with the fuse, the CDSD is absolutely quiet - knock on wood. They never gave me an explanation as to what was done, but I'm starting to wonder if they put in a new drive. Apparently the fuse that died is not user serviceable?
The top with fewer ventilation holes helps considerably. They also use a black soundproofing insulation inside the top cover that helps. I know of a few folks that have had minor issues with the adhesive that holds it in place.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it disconcerting that a 23K digital playback system doesn't have better build quality. There's no doubt it sounds great but for 23K
c'mon.
Well my CDSD is back home and was put to the test last night. Yes, the new case without vents and the added insulation seems to have largely corrected the problem. The most problematic CD can still be barely heard if you turn the music off and stand closer to the machine. But the average CD that was making noise is no longer heard even beside the CDSD. Given that I'm told my drive was not replaced, I surprised more people don't notice this noise with older CDSD with the vents.

The only thing is since it has come back, I now seem to notice when I load a new disc, the machine makes an audible, loud, transient pop through the speakers just as it is about to play. Not all the time, but I don't remember that before ??? I will continue to observe.
Thom_y

I get the pop as well & I have one of the newer units. NO problems though.