Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi Thekong,
In a suspended reinforced concrete slab......there can be frequencies from 5-10Hz and higher.
In a suspended timber-framed floor they could get up to 10-16 Hz but would not normally get as low as the concrete.
Of course....the 'creaking' we can often hear in suspended floor structures as they 'move' whilst we are in bed at nights......are of a far higher frequency.
It's really the very low frequencies doing the damage as Structure-Borne Feedback as they are indicative of 'movement' within the floor structure.
Hi Halcro,

Thanks for the information again! As I can’t use wall mount in my room, I have never experience its effectiveness!

My room has suspended concrete floor. According to the specification, the pneumatic table could isolate up to 85-90% of the vibration at 5Hz, and 97% at 10 Hz, it has worked out very well for me! I certainly could hear the improvement in background blackness with its use!

Thanks!
Hi,
I was wondering when someone will add something useful to this thread that is more in line with modifications with results as opposed to a subjective debate?

Regards
Alx
Dover has repetitiously stated richardkrebs ADVOCATES adding lead mass to ETs

This is incorrect.

Mr Krebs openly told the forum how he sets up HIS arm for his LOW compliance cartridge, and the reasoning behind it.

He (RK) suggested others could try it to educate/inform themslves, adding to the collective knowledge of posters, because IT IS EASILY REVERSED.

RK has not tried to CONVINCE others to follow his setup.
Dover wrote:
A conventional pivoted arm with an effective mass of 14g with a cartridge of 9g will have a total effective mass of 23g.
The standard ET2 has a horizontal effective mass of 34g or 52g with the damping mechanism.
With your addition of lead and removal of the decoupling, and added fluid damping, your altered ET2 has an effective mass of approximately 114g - 4 times the effective mass of a conventional pivoted arm.

Readers should try to imagine waking around with the weight of three adults sitting on their shoulders, and pretending the weight is of no consequence.
This is what the cantilever has to endure with the Krebs alterations to the ET2.
Sorry Dover, with respect, I hear what you are saying but I don't think that this is what a cartr stylus really "sees".

Static Mass is one thing but Effective Mass is something slightly different... the latter is the "inertia" or the reluctance of the tonearm (pivoted or sliding) to move, as seen by the stylus.

ie. At frequencies above Res Freq, the tonearm is effectively an immobile/stationary object or load, as seen by the stylus...which is a good thing, because you want a stable platform to trace the groove, right?

Referring to your analogy, for example, the tonearm should not be "walking around", it should be standing absolutely still... & having 3 adults sitting on your shoulder ;) ...is going to help hold the cartridge steady.

(The only potential problem with ultra low Res Freqs is the danger of coinciding with TT suspension/support/floor modes.)