Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517

Showing 50 responses by ct0517

Dgarretson - With this design the lowest possible air pressure that floats the bearing(about 1 psi)sounds best.

DG - I am curious - is the 1 psi the recommended manufacturer psi? How high a PSI have you experimented with and how were the sonics affected on the Transfi arm ?

thanks
Is there significant air coming from the manifold where the spindle enters and exits? You will feel the air coming out with your finger near both ends.

NONE DETECTABLE AT ~3PSI BUT DEFINITELY FEEL AIR ESCAPING AT EITHER END OF THE BEARING HOUSING AT 7+psi - MORE AS AIR PRESSURE IS INCREASED, BUT NO "KICKBACK" OF ARM AT END OF TRAVEL AS OTHERS HAVE REPORTED.

Dave - 7 psi is over twice what the stock ET2 design calls for. So your arm is indeed working well - imo.

Bruce offers two upgrade options unless things have changed.

You send him your stock ET2 manifold and spindle and he can do one of two things.

upgrades it to 1) an ET2 HP manifold model or 2) ET 2.5 with the bigger spindle.

Something to consider - he can also make the air plug inlet point up or down.

As Frogman, I look forward to your impressions of the HP manifold whether as a ET2 or ET2.5 HP model.

Cheers Chris
Dgarretson - The air pressure at this threshold depends on the weight of the selected wand and counterweights.

Dave G - thanks for that interesting info re: Trans Fi tonearm.

Would it be correct to assume an owner of a Transfi needs a pump that is variable in its PSI for the different arm wands and cartridges ?

With the ET2, ET 2.5 one psi is used it does not change as the Spindle/Manifold remains the same. Different armwands and I Beam adjustments - single, double, triple springs are made for the different cartridges.

yes two very different designs.
Hi Dave - I am looking forward to your impressions of the ET 2.0 HP manifold. Cheers Chris
from the Audiophile Club of Athens.
A very interesting website with a lot of audio passion like here at Audiogon.
I came across a recent visit with a member with an ET 2.5 on a Micro Seiki table.
He also has an SME V and ZETA tonearm on the same table.

To see the ET 2.5 in action for a bit, scroll to the bottom of the page for the video.

http://www.aca.gr/index/meetings?row=2320

to Kyriakos (owner of the ET 2.5)

If by chance you happen to visit Audiogon, please stop by and say Hi to us here !

Cheers
does another audio product exist - that in pictures is so easy to mistake I ask ?

I guess I really meant to say "tonearm" instead of audio product :^)

Skill testing question - this is for non ET2, ET2.5 owners only.

Halcro? Nikola? DG ? Lew? Banquo363, Timeltel ......... Syntax... I am calling out to you too....all others?

In this picture which is the 2.5 and why ?

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1384998156.jpg
The easy way to tell if you are looking at an ET2 versus a ET2.5 ?

To be so obvious that it is over looked ?

We need to draw our attention to the end cap holding the counterweight assembly.

On the base ET2 the end cap clearly overlaps the skinnier spindle.

On the ET 2.5 the cap will appear flush with the spindle as the wider spindle has an aluminum insert that the end cap couples to.

Cheers
On the base ET2 the end cap clearly overlaps the skinnier spindle.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Eminent-Technology-2-Tonearm-/321252202495?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:CA:3160

The overlap of the end cap on the spindle can be clearly seen in the second picture of this ebay ad.
Not affiliated with the ad.
Harold-not-the-barrel -
The ET-2 is another very interesting tone arm though.

Harold-not-the-barrel - my thoughts exactly over 10 years ago, and still today.
Welcome to the thread. Is there a story behind your moniker ?
Cheers Chris
Dlcockrum PS: I also have a nice stable of MMs: Empire 4000D/III, Signet TK-7LCa, Sonus Gold Blue, Micro Acoustics 530mp and 2002e, Astatic MF200, ADC XLM II Improved, and Shure V15 Type III MR. I read that some of you have liked the Empire with the ET Two. Is that still your opinion? What about the others?

A really nice set of cartridges Dave. You will want to hear them all over again with the HP manifold.

When you are up and running with it let me know if you would also like to experience the "420str". I can loan it to you for a few months.

For everyone on this thread.
I am very glad that Banquo363 decided to chime in here.
You see it was Banquo's personal 420str that he donated.... Bruce received, listened to and provided his review of here...
I am just the holder of it for the moment.

Cheers
and it can be taken away only over my dead body.

Hi Harold - the last time I heard the words sir I was working :^(
You are a gentleman sir. The stark reality of it for me is that I am a middle aged runner; and whenever I get a muscle pull, strain or just have pain, its taking longer and longer to recover. As I come to grips with my own mortality every day, I gain more and more respect for all those things around us that have passed the test of time and will still be around when I am not. Now as long as we are making clothes with thread, this Platine will provide beautiful music with no bearing to wear for someone. Likewise the ET2 if you feed it good air. The Transfi looks like an interesting design - unfortunately my personal guard comes down a 1/2 hour into the music and I become a bit of a klutz - with its permanent spot over the platter I fear for my lp and cartridge. The ET2 is pretty much klutz proof' although I did behead an XV1 once that was attached to an ET2; but it was on an armpod 15 feet way from the table. Still gives me the shakes thinking about it. thank you again Axel for bringing it back to life. If I didnt have many years of schooling to still pay for, of all the newer tonearms I have seen the Schoreder Linear Tracker looks really interesting to me.

You see, my favorite song is "Harold the Barrel" from 1971.

So cool. Without thinking I used my initials and some random numbers for my moniker - they now follow me through Audiogon eternity. I was 8 in 1971 and am a Genesis fan and the other British super groups having grown up with them, their lps and concerts. They made a huge impact in Canada and myself. Springsteen also ranks very high - this is just as much to me about the meaning of the words in the songs having the capability to stir the blood in you, as the music itself. I listened to Devils and Dust last night.

Knowing the story your moniker now ranks in my personal top four along with Swampwalker, Frogman and Vegasears - the last one doesn't need a story :^)

Cheers Chris
Hi Richard

regarding the damping trough location.
Are you still using your trough ahead of the manifold on your custom ET2 ?
My thoughts have changed on this.
The trough paddle is attached to end bearing cap on the stock ET2 and ET2.5.
The cap also holds the I Beam => which holds the ET2, 2.5 family jewels (lead weights and spring/s)
That end cap is therefore the common joiner for all of them.
We change resonances by using 1-3 springs and lead weight positioning,
My thinking is it therefore makes sense to have the trough paddle attached to the end bearing cap as designed.

your thoughts ...

others ?
Hi Slaw
maybe this helps maybe not.
Anyway - I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I use with some air tools.
Last winter it experienced the same symptom you described from the tube going from the tank to the pressure gauge.
In my case it was the brass insert and delrin sleeve had worn out.
Not until it was to max pressure did it start expelling the air.
I brought the worn brass sleeve to home depot and I picked up a new one.
The lip on the brass sleeve had worn out down to almost nothing. this fixed the problem for a couple dollars.
good luck with yours. there are a couple guys with Jun-Air's here hopefully they chime in.
Hi Frogman
Glad you liked some of that music.
The artist's liner notes appear to be listed under the site's store tab. Looks like Gliere is hidden under the first one.

Jeff Beecher - Bass, Rachel Mercer - Cello, Vanessa Lee - Piano

Cheers
Something I have never seen before and here at audiogon.

NIB Stock ET2
New in the box according to the ad.
Not affiliated with the ad.

hey - it even comes with a damping trough!

I find the nice thing about this damping trough is that it gives you another option. (Be nice if my wife and kids came with options)

I have found some records sound great no matter how you play them. Others contain great music but the way the record was made .... leaves something to be desired.

All it takes is a quick turn of the paddle screw to engage and disengage it.

the thing I don't like about the trough is it can be messy. If away for a few days I like to cover my table. you need to be careful with the fluid, even though there is only 1 cc of oil in it.
I bring this up since the 2.5 manifold is no longer available

Hi Frogman
I guess the recent interest has cleaned Bruce out of his 2.5's .
I know of another ET2 owner with an interest to upgrade so I emailed Bruce for him.

Bruce
re: ET 2.5 availability

is it still possible for someone with a 2.0 to upgrade to a 2.5 with you ?
they send u their 2.0 manifold and spindle and you return a 2.5 spindle and manifold.

Also can the 2.5 still be bought new from you ?

thanks Chris

Chris,

Both are not available right now, it is likely that we will have more in about 4 months, thank you very much.

brucet

So this is a temporary situation.
I agree that a low pressure (LP) 2.0 upgraded to a HP is very worthwhile.
The cost is about the price of two Canadian gas tank fill ups.

Cheers
Harold/Richard - thanks

passionate in the extreme about his music

imo - everyone here is equally passionate in the extreme about their music.

I remember exactly the moment when I realized music was going to be something special.
I was only a single digit in age and I heard "I wanna hold your hand" Beatles in 68 or 69 for the first time.

right now I am hunkering down for lots of music because its cold outside and only going to get colder. the picture of that groove reminds me of bare cold and makes me think of Springsteen's song titled "Badlands"

Poor man wanna be rich
Rich man wanna be king
And a king ain't satisfied
'Til he rules everything

Springsteen - Badlands

So some are rich and even fewer are kings.

Some folks are so passionate in the extreme about their music and have the resources to create concerts in their home for others to enjoy. If you scroll down you will see how the concert is taped and then those interested can go listen to the reproduced sound to compare.

Harold - I don't know what it is about Italian music.
I can't understand a word of it but I can listen to it for hours.

Cheers Chris
I took my Sony radio cassette player and placed it in front of the single mono speaker of the school record player.

excitement and thrill of hearing this music and being able to play it whenever I wanted.

thanks for sharing this Richard.
it reminded me of something I wanted to share also.
as a kid my first music reproducer was a small hitachi am fm cassette player with a built in microphone. I discovered I could tape good songs from the radio onto cassette and play them back when I liked. Like you said - what power over the music. I was in control.

So I filled a cassette tape and all I did for two weeks was play that tape.

One day I decided to listen to the radio again. the same songs, when they came on the radio all of a sudden sounded..... not as good .... not like my cassette. they sounded slower and lethargic on the radio.

I couldn't understand why. I would figure it out later when I was a teenager playing with turntables. Although the tape cassette player was speed stable and sounded good - it was running a little fast. so the music sounded more up beat. groovy, livelier than the slower radio version. the cassette tape was speed stable but not speed accurate.

this is how I learned the difference between the two.

Hi Harold - high school in 1977...me thinks you may be my lost twin ?
Hi Greg
here is the info on the Schrader Bellows part I referenced earlier in case you decide to pursue it. I called a random dealer to see if the part was available, in case a dealer was not available near you. Cheers.

Chris,

For the Schrader bellow part, 3381101, I found a part, 003381101, which is a ¼” needle valve. The price is $28.20 each and has a 10 day lead time. If this is not the correct part or you have any other questions feel free to email me back.

Thanks,

Stephen Kretz
Ohio Belting & Transmission Co. | Customer Service

(419) 535-5665 x 119 Business
Received my ET package from Bruce yesterday.
Will post up pictures over the weekend of my air set up along with the ET-2.5 on my system page.

Hi Rugyboogie
your Christmas present hath come early..no?
You must have been really good this year
But aren't you supposed to wait until the 25th to open the box ? :^)
They say its better to give than to receive; if so BT must be feeling pretty good this year.
Congrats and looking forward to your impressions.
Cheers
Hi Cabiendi

In this field
some processes are very delicate and require dry air at a very specific pressure.

An interesting comment. thanks for sharing. The quality (dryness and cleanliness) of the air is very important to the tonearm since the pores that allow the air through to elevate the air bearing spindle, can start accumulating water mineral deposits, other particles .. carried by moisture; thereby reducing the effectivness of the tonearm and the pump. The arm is also designed for very easy cleaning. Anyone buying a used ET2.0, or ET 2.5 or having run one for many years should be performing this procedures documented in manual. Being successful (meaning getting the best sonics) with an ET2, ET 2.5 entails becoming familiar with its parts, and the way it works. this is my opinion after 10 years.

I am not sure your in room regulator is diaphragmatic. They look flatter and I never saw one of them with water separator and filter.

My in room regulator normally doesn't come with a water container and filter.
I purchased the filter/bulb separately with the appropriate threading to attach to it. I am in the business of business contingency planning / business continuity. The processes involved have made me somewhat anal in regards to backup systems . :^) Its ingrained in me that you just can't have enough of them.

http://www.xmc-pneumatic.com/products/HAW-Series-Air-Filter-regulator-1082135.html

Model aw2000
I could get a smaller regulator one that would put the 19 psi into the middle range for the regulator, but this one has been working well and the smaller one had to be special ordered. I am told by the shop that uses and sells it, I verified yesterday that it contains a spring and diaphragm.

The other thing we need to remember with both the ET2 and ET 2.5. Both use only a percentage of the incoming air to work as designed; the rest gets bleeded out around the edges of the manifold. The air has to go somewhere. As has been discussed here they are a captured air bearing meaning air circulates the air bearing spindle 360 degrees.
So when we discuss a bleeding effect in the air supply - the tonearms themselves are also designed to release air as part of their design. Bruce has confirmed this to me in previous discussions.

Placing of a draft detector near the tonearm parts should allow one to see how the air is released and if there are any leaks near the bolts themselves.

Cabiendi - your perspective from an ophthalmic industry view is very interesting.
thank you for your insight and I look forward to more input from you.

Cheers Chris
I haven't felt this much pressure for a post since I stopped reporting to a boss (wife not included)
you guys prove once again that sex sells well even if in theory only. Now to come up with something that is pertinent, force us to look at ourselves, chuckle a bit, maybe destroy another audiophile inspired myth along the way ......and do it in a way that doesn't give cause for audiogon gods to delete it. Is such a post possible ?
Greg -
I get ebay alerts on the Timeter as I am always on the lookout for a second one.
The link you posted - I remember that one and thinking - man that is rough.
For the shelf the motor hangs off to rot to the point that it came loose and it banged around makes me wonder what type of environment it was kept it and whether it was left in the rain for some time.
Water under the bridge now - no use thinking about - this is what I would do.

I'm assuming the motor and fan still operate ?
Remove all insulation as you say.
Put in another shelf (it slides in and out easy enough) and remount the hanging motor.
Once this is complete and this part is very important.
Get an empty regular hand size water bottle.
Fill 1/3 with CLR. insert the water/moisture spring loaded exhaust nozzle into the bottle.
Leave overnight.
Next day you will see what kind of environment it was run in by how much crud gets dislodged into the container.
Remove the bottle and cap it for reuse later.
Start it up and the pump will blow the remainder of the crud out through the nozzle if any remains.
The pump will now purr better and run cooler if the nozzle was partially clogged. Turn it on and see how hot the motor gets.
It is hot to touch normally. Make sure there is no obstruction on the bottom under the fan.
The air exits from the bottom.
The housing shape above the motor (that broke to pieces on hours) helps the air run through shelf opening and by the motor - there are wide slots on the top of the upside down half bowl shape to help with this. By removing the insulation you will also have helped cooling as well I believe.
Let me know how you make out.
(that broke to pieces on hours)

should be (that broke to pieces on yours)- wish there was a way to edit.
Greg - the current pump issues aside.

I not only have 2 ET, but started with an ET-I back in the day!

Holy Moly !

you are in a very unique position.

This thread is at well over quarter million views. I am sure many would probably like to hear the differences you experienced between the two. I know I would !

when u have some time ....

Cheers
fwiw - I found the analogy of hitting the two sticks closeup to your ear and at a distance very interesting. Never heard it explained this way before.
Hi Greg

I looked at it again and see that the pump has just come loose from the springs. The intermediate shelf looks solid and the springs are still attached there. What I can see of the spring mounts on the pump look ok too.

I suspect it was banged around or dropped and that pulled the pump loose from the springs... and then it was banged around a lot afterwards to nearly pulverize the plastic housing.

that is a little better news. the shipper must have had the thing close to upside down at one point for it to come off one of the springs? That Timeter pump hanging in its enclosure, reminds me of the pics and videos I have seen in the past of those eccentric vinyl guys (women audiophiles would never do this ?) who hang their entire turntables from the ceiling beams with long thick cables for isolation and to avoid vibrations. Thats the idea here as well and the first time of I have ever seen a motor mounted this way.

Look forward to hearing your progress with it. Cheers
Sharing part of an interesting article I am came across today on vinyl.

(Reproduced in part from the entertainment section of today's Toronto Star Newspaper)

-------------------------------------------------------

Interviewer - But what, exactly, are we talking about when we say that vinyl sounds warm?

“The bottom line? As humans listening, we do not like square waves,” says renowned producer/mastering engineer Peter J. Moore, known for his legendary one-microphone recording of the Cowboy Junkies’ Trinity Sessions.

OK, so in layman’s terms, what is a square wave?

“It’s when you go from absolutely quiet to super loud with no time at all,” says Moore, who has also worked with everyone from Holly Cole to Neil Young.

Sensing, shall we say, a lack of comprehension on the other end of the line, Moore gamely tries to illustrate his point without the benefit of diagrams or hand gestures. (Any perceived ambiguity in his explanation is our fault, not his.)

“If I slap two pieces of wood right beside your ear, that’s about the only time in the real world that you would feel a square wave,” he says.

“That would make you jump out of your skin.

“Digital, especially MP3s, reproduce square waves like crazy. That actually upsets people! You’re triggering your fear, which also triggers fatigue. It’s unnatural.

“Now, if I was across the room and slapped two sticks together, it would take time for that wave to travel to you and by then the square wave has rounded off.”

And what does that have to do with vinyl?

“A turntable playing a vinyl record could not reproduce a square wave if it tried.”

Why can’t it?

“If I have a wire that’s one-inch long, it takes no time for sound to travel over that wire. But in the coil in a turntable cartridge, that wire is very long and it’s wrapped around a magnet. So it takes a lot of time to get through that magnet and come out the other side. By the time it comes out, the sharpness, the ugliness has been rounded.

“That,” says Moore, “is what people mean by warm.”

(Reproduced in part from the entertainment section of today's Toronto Star Newspaper)
02-01-14: Slaw
Wow, when I post, I post!

If this has been addressed in the past, I apologize... I notice some choose to "hang or mount" their counterweights from the top of the I-beam. I choose to hang mine from the bottom.
In the past, (a long time ago), I A-B'd these settings and preferred the way I do it. From my logical standpoint, I would think hanging the counterweights below the center of gravity, from the spindle's point of view, would be the preferred method. Any takers?

Anyone that is an ET2-er for any real length of time; the big question of choice will come to you.

Do I do an IN-e or an OUT-e, with the lead weights ?

An IN'e requires a ton more weight (figuratively speaking) Fully loaded down version baby.

Think teeter totter of childhood days with two friends. One is the same weight as you the other 50 lbs more.
The heavier friend needs to sit inside more to balance out things. The same physics applies here, except the friend has a leaf spring on his side.

Which friend would you prefer to ride with?

This hobby is about free choice, personal choice and enjoyment. If you call Bruce and ask him for an opinion he will say what makes sense as a manufacturer, and as it relates to his business.

SOME FACTS

An OUT-e requires more thought (a certain combination of weights) to get out to the end. Its the stripped down version. Light on its feet.

The ET2 was designed with Adjustable Effective Mass

PAGE 9

The effective mass is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. The arm has low to medium mass vertically. Medium to High mass horizontally. Four counterweights allow the vertical and horizontal mass to be changed. For example: if the user decreases the amount of counterweights used, and moved this position back (higher scale number) the horizontal inertia would go down and the vertical inertia would go up.

PAGE 24

We believe that for a light cartridge. The smallest number of counterweights should be used. This raises the vertial inertia of the arm. (because it is low) and decreases the horizontal inertia (because it is high). bringing the mass of the arm to a more desirable figure. It will always be lower vertically than horizontally which is desirable.

IMO the word "light" should just be deleted as it really applies to "all" cartridges.
My personal experiences have been whenever vertical inertia is increased, bass gets better defined and tuneful.
Hi Aguser - welcome to the thread.

03-30-14: Aguser
This seems to be a good place to ask this. I have an ET-2 on my VPI HW-19 MKIII. I have not had this very long so i am still getting it fine tuned. One thing i noticed was that when it gets near the inner grooves it will start to skip. The tonearm it not against the manifold but I think it is getting more resistance. Any suggestions to fix this?

Based on your info you sound like a new ET2 user who has just purchased the used ET2 and VPI combo. I was this exact same person over 10 years with a MKIV table and the same problem. In my case the previous owner did not know what to do so he sold the table. Assuming the wiring exits the arm at the counterweight cap and goes down through the plinth? In addition to what Frogman said I would perform these four steps. I believe your problem will be a combination of them. A very easy fix.

1) Ensure spindle is clean especially on the armtube side as this is the spindle portion in the manifold when at the inner grooves - isopropyl and clean cloth.

2) Platter not level - the back end is higher. The ET2 is climbing a hill. Is the VPI table plinth that the ET2 is on - in the same level plane as the platter itself ? For now Ignore the plinth and level the platter only. Place a line level on the platter portion path the cartridge takes - ensure its level.

3) ET2 not level - get some Blutack. http://www.blutack.com/
Make a flat pancake shape size of a silver dollar and place it on the lead weights. Remove or add Blue tack until the arm free floats. Does it stay free floating or does it want to slide to the front ? Position the ET2 at the start, middle and end of the record positions. Ensure the wires are not pulling on it when it is on the outside part of record; and pushing it like antiskate on a pivot arm, when on the inside part of the record.

Now adjust the bolts if not level. Its important to not put too much pressure downward on the two bolts as you may crack the casing. When I adjust these bolts I like to back off pressure on both vertical bolts first; and then re adjust pressure.
If the platter and ET2 are indeed level, and it still has a problem on inner grooves it is most likely the wires giving push back or the pump is down 1/2 psi if the original one ? This was my problem - the pump was down 1/2 psi.

4) Wires not positioned properly - they are pushing on the arm. They are causing the most push back on the inner groove because this is when they are most likely bent the most. I recommend you bypass those wires but for now re position them so that there is no pushback with the blutack in place when the arm is positioned over the inner grooves.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

(Holy Moly this thread is showing on my views page summary again - approaching 325,000 views)
Frogman - Your post made me spit up my drink. lol.

Do you have a source?

Where there is audiophile will - there is always a way. if there is interest...

"mad scientist"

:^)

I agree Frogman on your description of Bruce. I can also tell everyone that in talking to Bruce about this thread last year he was touched by it; I actually sensed some emotion in his voice, but he does not read this thread or any others. He is a seasoned manufacturer and provider of audio components and services for many years. He stays away from public chat forums. He is also very busy and travels alot; he does have his own plane I believe. Getting his review of the Acutex 420 str to post here ....was to me a bigger accomplishment for myself, than many work projects I have been involved with !

There are six of the rotary subs installed at Niagara Falls as part of the show that explains how the Falls was created.
have not heard them, came close one time recently when we were there; but time did not permit and teenagers can be very unruly - you know ?

If you have a look at this image and note the words hearing threshold in the legend on the right.

http://www.eminent-tech.com/woofercomparison.html

Me thinks Bruce will need to update the Legend with words - one for Human hearing threshold and one for "Elephant" when his study is complete ?

Kind of gives new meaning to "Elephant in the Room" ?

Frogman - that Meitner turntable you referenced...
here is pic,

http://www.museatex.com/at-2.jpg

I don't get it. The record would need to be really thick and no warps to even work ? imo - vibrations would be headed to the center where the bearing lives.
Hi Harold
For me personally, I have been called mad, and other words I can't use here... many times; but never followed by the word scientist.
With the way the world has become so automated and digitized, IMO anyone into vinyl today who sets up his/her own table, tonearm and cartridge must have some scientist seed in their DNA ?
Cheers
Hi Frogman - as Pegasus said the leaves are turning, some brilliant colors. It marks the transition soon from summer cottaging up north to some serious music listening coming up to help me get through the winter.

Pegasus - From your last post you must have quite the space to be able to hold concerts. I miss my daughters daily piano solos while she is away most of the year at school. When you mention customers and repair, modifications to Magnepan, do you have an electronics business of some type?

Many good points - the "minimal torque" a key one that was discussed here early on and Frogman indeed stressed it initially. If I may share some experiences with this "minimal torque" and it directly relates to your comment;

If I only touch the VTA adjustment a bit on *my* ET2 - the side-leveling is severely off. If it's not, I was lucky. To check is better than to believe...

The coffee has not kicked in yet so pls excuse any rambling. If I really start going you know the coffee is starting to work.

My first ET2 over 10 years ago now that came on a VPI HW19 MKIV.

From my other tonearms in the past including Technics, SME, VPI's, Dynavector, FR64s, etc... they all come/came with a flat surface mount. They are relying on the partner table to be level. This is not good. Turntables are crude devices. Many plinths/armboards not level with the turning platter. The cartridge is always the end victim. The ET2(.5) as we know have a genius grommet 3 spike mount. They could be mounted on the Leaning Tower of Pisa if need be. However the spikes WILL dig in over time if the surface is not hard, which causes the Pillar of the arm to go out of level. I have seen people mount them directly on hardwood. Not good. The VPI tables came with an aluminum plate to prevent marring of acrylic. Never great IMO to add layers but there was no choice and business (selling the tables/tonearm combo at the time) meant it had to be done. The spikes can be shaved down to allow for removal of the plate and naked mounting on the acrylic. ET2's mounted naked on a hard surface are much better sounding to me. Multiple layering of armboard materials - UGH ! And then some put layers on their platters too...

sorry to ramble; ok that first table VPI HW19 MKIV / ET2 I got, the previous owner could not get the ET2 to work. Long story short it was set up bad and the pump was down 1/2 psi - could not complete the last grooves of a record. I got another pump, which allowed for whole lps to be played; the sound in its as is condition still trumped the VPI JMW 12 inch arm at the time. I used it for a while then decided to take it apart. I discovered the two vertical bolts that level the arm on the VTA pillar were tightened down so much by (previous owner/s and my short use to that time) that they had put two bolt indents in the base below. Imagine the stress put on by the bolts. This was truly the opposite of minimal torquing.

These Two Vertical Leveling bolts are an operational dilemma with the ET2. Owners set them up initially and everything seems fine. Then over time with cartridge changes, bumping or moving the table, room seasonal structural changes to wood beams, etc ... things go out of level a bit and the vertical bolts need small adjustments over time. Owners give the vertical bolts a touch of a turn here and there not realizing the bolts are already putting pressure down. They go away on holidays. Come back... more listening. There is no way one can remember how much torque is on those bolts. A little more adjusting here and there. This ends up stressing the plate below, and could deform it. You will never get the patented VTA to work ! So this is a mistake not in initial setup, but from an ongoing operation. A possible outcome if not observed and it is not covered in the manual. One person I know did not realize how much force he had placed on the plate below and he ended up actually cracking it.

How I solved this problem was easy (like some things in our lives) Simple awareness and a habit change. If a level adjustment is needed, take 30 seconds and undo the torque on each vertical bolt; then re-apply this "minimal torque" as required on each bolt, as if setting them for the first time. This takes 2 minutes total time to do. This is very important and has worked well for me.

If you have mounted the ET2 spikes on wood direct - you will never get the table/Et2 and the VTA to work properly as the spikes will dig in over time causing a shift with the different tensions used to get level initially. My two ET2(.5) are mounted naked on a solid brass billet pod with the SP10MKII, and on the Aluminum solid billet pod on the La Platine Granito Verdier (Mr. JC Verdier- RIP)

Both are bolted down to the plinths below. The VTA works the pillar stays level. Metal ET2 spikes on a metal armboard.

IMO - success with any analog rig regardless of the cost point comes from the setup and paying special attention to the details. One more detail - The one ET2 (.5) threaded mounting hole is filled with oil prior to inserting the bolt. If you are using a wood armboard do not put oil in it.
I was kind of dreading any responses but was ultimately disappointed that there were really no responses.

Slaw to add to Richard and Frogman's comments.
imo - It is always better to give than to receive. Meaning rewarding - gut feel stuff.
You gave "the gift" as far as this hobby is concerned to me.
Music that touched you and you put it out there.
IMO - you can't get more personal and giving to others than this in this hobby.
Never expect anything back.
I hope to see more recommendations from you.

The marker you gave 'O'(I can't duplicate it), followed by mad scientists, .....

Copy and paste from Harold's post.

`Ö´

In Windows: Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Character Map (Sometimes called 'Keyboard Map')

select characters from different languages.

^Ö^

I changed it up. can't find the marks on either end that Harold used ?
I'll bet there's some passion for music there! Jazz, in particular. Huh, you say? Look up the original meaning of the word as used by musicians :-)

could this be the other thing I think of, other than running, :^) when I see Dorothy ?
Frogman can you provide us with a music selection that in your opinion exemplifies this...

I'll bet there's some passion for music there! Jazz, in particular. Huh, you say? Look up the original meaning of the word as used by musicians :-)

I am in big, big doo doo if my wife ever find this thread.
Frogman your Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa videos had me looking for something to mix with my morning coffee (...and maybe a cigarette?)
only to find my liquor cabinet has been pillaged.

The Nancy Wilson video sure harken's back to a much simpler time imo - boy, times have changed.

I tell my 19 year old son, "the girls never approached you in clubs when I was your age"; "the guy had to have a plan and a good introduction to go up and approach a girl in a club". He doesn't believe me, as these days according to him, the woman have become the hunters. I wish I was 19 again.
The eyes have it Frogman. Also one very classy lady Shirley Horn.

Truth is that in many ways they have always had the power and control.

If I can add an observation.
In regards to business power positions, my work field - IT Business Services, is one of those areas that has many women in the key power positions. I can honestly say the best bosses (fair and understanding) I have worked for, have been women.
As consultants we worked for a number of women at companies who were our "boss" during engagements. One of the more interesting ladies I still remember well as we did a job for the IT shop at her organization.

SOCAN (the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada)

Among the many facets of this company, their IT shop runs the actual computers that figure out and calculate which artists get paid performance royalties based on air play. A fascinating stint for me as a music lover and this lady boss we worked with was very colorful.

If anyone has ever been curious to learn how the heck they figure out how an artist gets paid royalties for their music played on the air, here is a short animated introduction to it - from the SOCAN site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJB6X-OGec
Richard - I was thinking about what you posted. If using a run of 40 feet, there is enough "space" within that tubing to allow the tubing to act like a surge tank when used with a regulator at the other end. This was explained to me years ago by the shop where I got my fittings. When the tubing material is soft there is also a greater chance that the tubing will expand and contract to deal with changes in temp/humidity and the air supply. If you have a regulator at the end of it "prior" to the tonearm you can regulate it and thus the surge tank analogy. You don't need 40 feet of actual house space to get these benefits. You can just coil up the tubing in an area.

Now some I have known choose to have long runs, straight in to the tonearm manifold, meaning the tonearm air bearing spindle could be experiencing air flow changes as the record plays. Especially if the air source is not steady or in a different part of the house; different temp, humidity etc. I imagine this can make for some interesting music ?

I am using fairly rigid white poly for the main run to the in room regulator. Its a perilous journey around corners and through a wall. Its quite stiff and rigid, it won't kink and is very easy to feed through tight areas. Its the same tube material they use in house town water 3/4 inch plumbing with sharkbite connections. Its doesn't expand and contract with temperature/humidity changes. The short run from the in room regulator to the tonearm is clear tubing. Cheers
Frogman u give new meaning to "Woody" I beam...

Just to add as well for audiophile newlyweds; attaining the 3 year mark is easier if you combine nice words with HOLD HERE. Words like honey and please.
For example...

Honey, HOLD HERE please (so I can xxxxxx this)

Replace xxxxx's with,

rotate
insert
level
balance
remove
tighten
loosen
shimmy
eyeball
pinch
solder
don't think that your test is quite representative of what I was suggesting, since you are disabling one regulator but leaving its body in circuit. If their is any instability in the regulator it could be caused by the its structure, since the air flow path is convoluted. For example the water separator function is achieved by creating a vortex in the bowl.

this is true Richard. not the best example - I could unplug both ends and just use a coupler.

That said how accurate are the gauges we are using anyway?

Even if these devices were perfect we know that no two records are identical.
Always trust your own ears. Use measurement devices. PSI gauges, alignment devices, VTF scales to just get into the ball park. Fine tune with your ears.
You're right with the several modes to mis-tune an ET2. It needs a bit of 3D operational understanding and then every screw (inside the brain too) falls into its place.

Brilliant, such an abstract thought and very well said. Set up requires very out of the box thinking. Imo –we are not talking about trying to put the round peg in round hole here. The records are very imperfect things and have not changed since the beginning of time. The ET2 has been built as a slave to the record. Trying to go rigid in every aspect of a tonearm’s construction will not work when the source is so Flexible ! ok my opinion again. Moving around off centered, up and down ! Lets remember the stylus changes /modifies the actual vinyl for a temporary period and a cooling period is required for it to go back to shape. Do you want your tonearm to be a big heavy stick or a delicate wand.

Also repeat setup of the ET2 will not make the brain kick into gear - imo. I tend to just repeat old habits over and over this way. One needs to have reached a comfortable level with the ET2 first. You need to be relaxed, sit back and while enjoying some music you look over at the arm working in such precision on the record and then it just clicks. You will know when these moments happen. It requires patience, calm and time/experience.

Readers are wondering why the hell go to all this trouble for a bloody tonearm. After all I can plunk :^) down my Dynavector 505 tonearm on any plinth or armboard - unscrewed - and just based on its immense weight get music playing by design. But - like I told an audio friend recently who is in the initial setup of his ET2; once you have had your first good run with familiar music - you are hooked. The sounds you hear snap into play and flow. Like water from a pipe. The Endorphins flow :^)

BTW another tweak I use is trapezoid wedges of cardboard which I slide in (vertical) underneath both ends of the bearing housing (or damping trough) until they slightly lock the bearing to the plinth. This absorbs any horizontal elastic movement of the bearing on top of the pillar. They have to be applied with plyers, and should put symmetrical force to not unbalance the arm.

Very interesting thx for sharing.

Frogman - Enjoy the Colors

Frogman – where we are (like other places I assume) the leaves are enjoyed for their beauty, shade and then the burst of colors before they fall and depending on where you live a problem if they need to bagged or recycled.
It is my understanding from (internet reading) that in Japan the leaves are battered, deep fired and eaten ? Can anyone with real experience here provide more information. A recipe maybe - :^)
The oak leaves take forever to fall and come spring are still there !
For non-Et2 owners reading, the vertical bolts referenced in the previous post can be seen here click me

They are circled in red.
Also - when I do setup on the 2.5 it is always without the wiring. The wiring gets added after. IMO - the only way to fully understand (if you are little anal and want to know) how much of an affect the wiring has is to follow this process.
When I used to set up with the wiring, the wiring push / pull caused the post leveling to be off a bit. The effects was different with different wires. With the mounting post doing its impression of the Leaning Tower of Pisa - it means your VTA adjustments are thrown out.

Cheers and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving
RK - If this is correct then it may be better to have the regulator remote from the arm. A long length of soft hose to the arm then helping to smooth out the regulator pressure irregularities. Obviously more testing is required. One test would be to fit a surge tank after the regulator in a rig with a regulator close to the arm. Or simply add another long length of soft tube which would be so easy to do....Chris.

Hi Richard - the extra in room regulator I use allows for AB testing of this at anytime. Long tube versus short going to the tonearm. All I have to do is open /disengage the in room regulator and it functions as a filter only, so in effect is a long tube to the pump. Let me explain something about my Timeter pump and it will make things more clear.

From my experiences most pumps push air and the user is at the mercy of the environment as far as the quality of the air output goes. Meaning if the air has any moisture and particles, filters are needed to trap them. The ET tonearm's maker resides in Florida where it can get really humid. The ET 2.0, 2.5 tonearms if they had a choice would probably choose to live in Arizona; or in a room where there is forced air heating. They like the air dry ....very, very dry.

My Timeter was designed for human use and has performance settings as far as how humid I choose to send air out at.
Example:
If you are in a room and want to be comfortable you would probably prefer air around 55-60 which is in the middle of the humidity scale to be really comfortable. The Timeter - with my T valve regulator at the pump (see pics on my virtual page) can be dialed down/tightened so that it exhales dry Arizona like air - even if the room it is in is at 80 % humidity. No other pump/compressor I am aware of does this and the ET 2.5 loves dry air. I have never seen a DROP of water in the in room regulator bulb other than the one time there was a blockage. Now the pump does need to work harder to produce moisture free air in a humid room. For three seasons late fall, winter, early spring the basement stays fairly dry with the natural gas heating. Once summer kicks in, it takes only 3 days for the basement to start feeling like a basement again - humid and damp. This is also the time when I make an adjustment to the Timeter by tightening down the regulator at pump's outlet so the performance gauge reads in the green zone. Green zone for this compressor/pump means the system is running efficiently and no moisture is being sent down the line. It expels the moisture like a car's AC at the bottom of the pump.
It used to do 50 psi when new. It probably does around 45 now and I bought it used many years ago. With the in room regulator in engaged mode - I send down 21-22 psi from the pump and I steal 19 psi with the in room's regulator. So pressure drops at the arms location on purpose (Dover alluded to this in one of his posts) The excess air goes into the atmosphere beside the pump. So in fact I bleed out 25 + psi.

I prefer to run with the in room regulator functioning as a regulator with the short run to the arm. It is I believe more precise and the long tubing just before it acts like a second, redundant surge tank in addition to the timeter's own built in surge tank . Redundancy is good. Remember I am in the business of contingency planning/risk mgmt - redundancy is ingrained in me. You can call this mad, or you can call this anal.

The in room regulator is set for 19 psi. Along with being more precise/consistent, its bulb area also stabilizes the air (temperature) so it is same as in my room. Your average listening room goes up in temp as time goes by. Its important for the air imo going into the manifold being same temp as your room - just really dry.
The in room regulator also gives me a visual of what is going on. Kind of like driving a car with real engine and radiator temperature gauges. I want to know what is going on. Sorry for the long post.

Cheers
You can call this mad, or you can call this anal.

So go ahead and call me mad or call me anal.......just pls don't call me Dorothy.....I am not worthy.
Richard
what a great and crazy hobby this is. We are running two very different air pump /tubing systems. Also our tonearms although they share some parts are more different in their construction and their setup requirements. We are using very different turntables, the amps, pre? and the most important thing - our rooms are different.
I'd say so far we are on par for the course like any other two audio guys/gals in this hobby ?
oh yeah.....and we are discussing the effects of changing out a length of air hose in the middle of all this stuff. Wonderful hobby.

There is one thing that stands out from your posts like a square peg in a round role to me. I run the same PSI with and without the damping trough, as designed by Bruce.
Its effects are real but subtle. Why are you not able to run the same psi without the trough ? I think you said the differences with and without are as high as 5 psi. Now understand I am not losing sleep over this - my kids give me enough reason for sleepless nights. something just doesn't jive. But as your arm is a customized, unique one, I don't really feel a need to understand why - was just curious.
That plus you don't just live down the street from me; if you know what I mean.
As long as you are happy....cool.

I have had my happy music lover's hat on for over 6 months.
If I choose to put on the audiophile hat one day again with vinyl, I can try tweaking with the air tubes as discussed.
The difference between MY two hats is that my music lover hat fits really well.
My audiophile hat for some strange reason has become a 1/2 size to small for me.
Happy Listening.
Richard - An observation. I spent the weekend on the water boating and sometimes in the water - this was by accident as the temp is still only in the 70's. What was very obvious is that even with similar size boats but with different size/horsepower motors; the ones that had their prop set up properly....were able to skim the water, go on plane and performed far better than those similar boats with motors too large / long that had props that slugged lower through the water.
Where am I going with this ? Lets play crazy scientist again and assume that the prop in the water is like the tonearm's paddle in the oil.
I was puzzled with the big performance differences between your oil and non oil damped settings. Could your paddle be in the oil more; and the oil is acting as a cushion for your modded spindle as it goes back and forth with the lp? Just a thought. I am using just 1 cc of oil and the paddle is barely skimming the oil. fwiw - the oil in the trough also acts as a great visual level as well.

Are you a skimmer or a slugger ?

:^) fun hobby. Happy listening.