ELP laser turntable - any comments?

I tried searching for info on the ELP laser tt here and was surprised to find nothing. i'd love to hear comments from true vinyl lovers: how does this compare to other rigs you've heard?
if you're curious, the website is www.audioturntable.com
kublakhan
Useridchallenged...I think that Halcyonics has various models, some of which will support more weight. The 220 pound model should be sufficient for 99.9 percent of turntables.

Thanks for the info on the patent. I will look it over.
The Halcyonics page has changed. I can no longer find the nice looking low box that could support 220 pounds. All I can find now is the 40 and the 60 which differ only in the size of the platform. I do not know why the new model is no longer mentioned.
I am pleased to announce that my company, NABS, recently became the exclusive global distributor of the Halcyonics line of active vibration elimination products. Halcyonics products range from isolation platforms such as the Micro 40 and 60 units that actively eliminate vibrations from .6 hz to infinity to complete acoustic solutions that include active platforms with accoustically inert chambers that eliminate airborne vibration. Halcyonics has a broad range of products and sizes, with weight bearing capabilities ranging from 220lbs to several thousand pounds. Halcyonics has historically sold its products to the scientific community for use under scanning probe microscopes such as Atomic Force Microscopes (AFMs). With the use of Halyonics' active vibration isolation unit, scientists achieve atomic resolution with their AFM even at difficult locations.

The Mod-1M platform metioned above has recently been replaced with the Micro 40 and Micro 60 units which offer more information to users and alternative platform sizes. Both units can be used stand-alone or with with provided Windows-based software which provides further analytical information. In either case, setup typically takes less than one minute and essentially requires the user to push two buttons. The Halcyonics web page nicely describes the Micro 40 and 60 units:

"Micro 40 systems feature an automated transport locking mode and fully automatic load adjustment; they take only a few seconds to start up. There is no further adjusting or tuning required. Thus, the Micro 40 and 60 systems feature ideal portability for field measurements and presentations.

The inherent stiffness of Halcyonics systems is typically 20 - 30 times higher than that of a 1 Hz passive isolator. For this reason, the Halcyonics active isolation technology provides much better position stability than with any other passive system; which is a great advantage at many applications. Thanks to automatic load adjustment Micro 40 and Micro 60 units allow a wide load range of 0 - 220 lbs with just one version - this offers good flexibility also for future applications.

In addition to their high isolation from floor vibration through AVI (active vibration isolation), Micro 40 and 60 systems also dampen application-generated vibration by AVC (active vibration control), e.g., this technology isolates vibration caused when the user touches the equipment. Thanks to Micro 40 and 60, active vibration isolation takes effect right at 0.6 Hz and considerably increases from this frequency upward. Above 10 Hz, Halcyonics Micro 40 and 60 systems achieve an isolation of 40 dB - that means that 99.0% of the vibration is effectively isolated. A major advantage of active Halcyonics systems is that they do not have any natural low-frequency resonance, which is responsible for problems encountered with passive vibration isolation systems in low-frequency ranges below 5 Hz. Micro 40 and 60 systems isolate vertical and horizontal vibration as well as vibration generated around the vertical axis of rotation as well as both horizontal axes of inclination. The degree of freedom of the active isolation system is thus six.

Connected to a Microsoft Windows-based PC through the USB 1.1 port available as a standard feature on the Halcyonics Micro 40 and 60, these benchtop systems enable computer-aided selection of the technically optimal place for setting up equipment to minimize exposure to vibration. During this process, the application software uses the acceleration sensors built into the Micro 40 and 60 and performs a relative, comparative vibration measurement on various places of installation selected by the user. An evaluation of the measurement and graphic display of the vibration levels of the various places of installation then provide a recommendation for the optimal place to set up equipment in a lab. Moreover, the software permits graphic display of the sensor signals and PC-controlled activation or de-activation of active vibration isolation."

We are proud to note that the Mod-1m (now replaced by the Micro 40) was recently given an award by Stereotimes as a "Most Wanted Component." We are confident that for the audiophile looking for the ultimate in vibration elimination - cost no object - that Halcyonics products are the best solution of its kind. In this regard, we welcome the audiophile community conducting any tests against competitive products.

Although NABS' audio-web page is still being assembled, you are more than welcome to read about our global supply chain solutions at www.nabs.com. My personal moniker on Audiogon is Slaufer. You can be assured that NABS will work hard to respond to any of your questions. We maintain a team of over 15 degreed mechanical engineers around the world including 3 with advanced degrees in our New York office who can field any of your technical questions. Feel free to call me during normal business hours from 9-5pm EST should you have any inquiries.

With regards,

Sam Laufer
President
NABS, Inc.

212-219-6580
OK Sam! A good posting.

I guess it's time for me to "disclaim" any connection with Halcyonics. I have mentioned this product only because I had such good experience with it in a non-audio job-related situation.

From a spec point of view, the Minus K passive isolator should be able to go head-to-head with the Halcyonics. The Minus K achieves 50 dB isolation at 10 Hz compared to the 40 dB of the Halcyonics. Also, the Minus K has a 0.5 Hz resonance, and the Halcyonics starts isolating at 0.6 Hz. For building isolation, the Minus K can handle fairly large horizontal and vertical displacements - 0.5 inch vertical and 0.75 inch horizontal travel. I'm curious what travel the Halcyonics has. Is NABS open to doing an AB comparison of the Halcyonics versus the Minus K isolators? I use the BM-1, and in my own testing have found that it outperforms air. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against active isolation. How much does a Halcyonics isolator cost?