EL34 tubes Vrs. 6L6 tubes

I run an Esoteric Audio Research 834 tube integrated amplifier with EL34 tubes. It states in the owners manual that it also takes 6L6 tubes. Anyone know the sonic difference?
Also, I run Tesla JJ EL34 tubes, any suggestions on tube brands?

Thanks Paul
lefty107
I thank you for the input. I am currently searching for nos 6l6 tubes. I will advise you of the results.

*** I would like to mention that I have run tube amplifiers since 1975. I Started with Audio Research D-51, went to a D-75, D-76, experimented with Dynaco stereo 70's, back to ARC D-76 and D-51. I loved the 76 but wound up selling the D-76 after the old stock tubes wore out. ***I replaced the worn tubes with Russian tubes and the sound was hard and metallic, similar to a solid state amp. The amplifier never sounded musical with Russian tubes. I replaced the Russian tubes with Tesla KT-88's and it sounded pretty good. I guess the old tube designs contain some hidden secrets, or it could be in what types of steel were used in the making. Whatever it is, it just hasen't been passed on to the new tube manufacturers. I will keep you posted.
I found the 6L6's to be only slightly better in the mids. And when it came to bass it was non-existent compared to the el34. Try Svetlana el34's, in my amps they smoked the Tesla's
Can somebody tell me were I can find some EAR 864 for a low price (I'm from France) Many thanks. e-mail me please at : claro@univ-lille3.fr
The 6L6 will produce deeper tighter bass.

Go to www.eurotubes.com, they have the JJ6L6 and
it rocks.