easy listening for small/medium bright room

i bought a pair of pmc db1i to go with a croft integrated, a music hall cd player and a turntable - the room is smallish (12x14ish) with pine walls a wood floor lots of rug and a high ceiling.

i have spent a few days tracking down a high pitched whine in the system - thinking it was a power or grounding issue.  I now believe its that the speakers are bothering my ears. You may think this is crazy but after a listening session i have this super hi-pitched cicada kind of noise in my ears for a long time - days perhaps.

Anyway, even if its not the speakers they are a bit too shrill for me.  I want something super easy on the ears and with no possibility of discomfort from too forward tweeters. Any suggestions below 3k - used fine. 

vandersteen? martin logan? monitor audio? no horns i don't think.

i am not a classical guy more like elvis costello, bonnie rait, neil young  - though theres nothing wrong with a little bill evans from time to time.

hopefully,

me

rand24us

@oldhvymec you forgot to ensure that all tubes test below 60% emission..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ops!

I've owned several PMC speakers including the TB2 monitor and have never thought of them being harsh in the high notes, just the opposite actually as I have tinnitus myself and have never like overly bright speakers.

Now my current ones (PB1i) are a little more "lively" in the upper range and I cured that my using tone controls built into the pre-amp.

Of the replacements you listed, haven't heard two of them but have Monitor Audio and altho I liked their sound, they were too bright for me at the time but that was at a hi-fi shop so I couldn't control the treble.

Personally I wouldn't have an audio system WITHOUT tone controls.

norton - tx i think thats good advice on the tone controls - sheesh.

i have an mcintosh integrated at home - it has tone control....from about 2010 

its my favorite piece of gear (aong with its sacd player just damn good if a bit cliche) - i was setting up an office listening system a couple thousand miles away - got a good deal on the TT and the speakers and stands and so of course splurged for the croft.    that may have been a mistake. I blame the scotch.