Dynamic compression in speakers themselves?

The primary audio characteristics I want to achieve in my system is an open, uncompressed, unstrained, and highly dynamic presentation.  What I don't know much about is how much speakers can or do contribute to loss of dynamics and impact.  I have a very powerful amp, but it seems that when I increase the volume, yes, the speakers get louder, but perhaps not commensurate with the increase in the volume control.  I do think I understand that this type of presentation is more easily achieved with larger scale speakers, but even with my large speakers, I feel something is wanting. 

I guess my question is, what factors contribute to any compression occurring in the speakers themselves?  Also, can the age of a speaker cause a loss of dynamics?  Mine are ~20 years old.  I'm thinking to get new speakers in the foreseeable future, so I'd like to understand more about this.  This question is in regard to traditional dynamic speakers.
mtrot
kosst

Yes, thanks, to clarify, I’d be looking up to the $10,000/pair range. So, I guess that eliminates a number of the great options out there which could produce the sort of sound we’re discussing. MAYBE up to $15K. I’m not looking for the ultimate in the parameters we’re discussing, but what brands/models can approach this performance. I just wanted to understand what components of speakers contribute to the type of audio characteristics under discussion, so as to better inform me as I get closer to a purchase.
Legacy Audio Focus is about 10K...that could float your boat

If you are ok with used and going up to 15K then you should be able to get what you are after.

+1 ATC SCM 100 as suggested by Phusis. If the 100 is far too boxy for you then ATC SCM 40 and a JL F112 subwoofer would do the job in a slightly more aesthetic manner. Don’t be mislead by “entry-level” description - the SCM 40 has plenty of huge dynamics - it just lacks the energy needed in the very bottom octave which is where the sub would fill in.

"1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

The law is that you can only have two of these three attributes in speaker building.  Ideally we would want all three, we want speakers with good bass, can play really loud, and are small.  Unfortunately we cannot have all these."

Efficiency is irrelevant with modern amplifiers and capacitors. Even avoiding hiss and the "bad sound" of Class D, Devialet, Elac, and others use ADH or BASH amps that have a Class D power supply with a Class A or Class AB amp output with the associated advantages, minus heat.