Dynaco ST-70 and Magneplanar 1.6QR

Hi,

I just got into this with an entry level system consisting of Magnapan 1.6 and a dyna st 70. I love the sound, and they work fine together ,but I dont get enough gain out of the Dynaco. Should I be getting more?, if not, is there anything I can do, short of swithcing amps that would solve this issue?

If not , do you have any $1000 amp or less alternatives to recomend?

Very grateful for any advice in this matter.
andersd
I am sure that the various audiophile 100 to 150 watt amps mentioned above may improve performance in subtle ways. However, for the same, or less money, you can have 350 watts of Adcom amp. The difference will not be subtle.
By the way, when you get your new amp I'll take the Dynaco off your hands!

Seriously, the Dynaco is a nice piece, but just doesn't have the muscle needed for the Maggies. However, before you dispose of it, you might try biamping the MG 1.6. The Dynaco would suffice to power the tweeters, and you would retain that "tube sound" (warm-sounding harmonic distortion).
Eldartford, thanks for suggestion, but I have a question, do you mean that ,if merely running the tweeters, the dyna could deliver more volume?

also , it does indeed seem like I have to sell the dynaco, so if you are interested, here is a link to the closed ebay auction where I bought it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045847351&category=39783

I will try the tweeter setup tonight. Thanks;
Andersd...Volume means voltage gain (not really power) so it's possible that your preamp is just not driving the power amp with enough signal. One thing that you could try would be to connect your 4 ohm speakers to the 8 ohm outputs of the power amp. This will get you more voltage to the speakers although the power amp wattage capability (which may not be the limiting factor) will be less.

It's a long time since I played around with tubes, but I suspect that there is a 12AX7 input stage in the power amp. I hope you don't have a 12AU7 pluged in by mistake: that would lower gain. The driver for the output stage is probably a 12AU7: they might be swapped around.

You really ought to be able to play those speakers loud with your amp, and the symptom of insufficient power would be distortion, particularly clipping, rather than low volume.

All this being said, I still suggest you try a much more powerful amp, and find out how good your speakers really are.