Do you ...Center Channel?

Hello,

To me it is difficult to set a center speaker in the living room. Underneath the TV would be too low. On top of the TV (LCD) would be unpractical because in may case the center channel would be fairly big and heavy.

I imagine that most of you, living in homes with a dedicated room, you have no issue. How about all the others like me, with limited space, would you have the center channel at all and go with a four speakers setup and set the preamp to 'No Center'? Or would you compromise in some other ways?
Thanks.

Regards,
baam23f
What's wrong with Mono dialog? Last time I checked people had only one mouth, a perfect point source.
For me, the issue of a CC relates in part to the general poor design of most CC speakers. One primary reason for a CC, at least for HT, is to anchor dialog to the screen for those seated off center. Yet the majority of CC designs are a horizontal D'Apolito configuration using either three or five drivers. How can this possibly come close to the timbre of the L/R speakers? And how can it work for anyone not seated on center, where the CC then becomes redundant?

At present, the design limitations of my condo mean I drop a 6' screen between my floor-standing speakers which are 8' apart. I find I can greatly enjoy movies and music DVDs in only two channel audio with this set up.
I'd like to issue an update to my post a few days ago. I had mentioned that the Phantom Center sounded better than having a dedicated Center Channel and that I would be selling my B&W HTM1.

That is no longer the case. Phantom mode is good and the dialog does seem to come from a center image when seated on Axis. However, I just finished a bi-wire configuration of my Center Channel with the bass cross over set to 60Hz and my Center turned up 2+ louder than my fronts. I prefer loud crisp dialog for 5.1 movies.

The differences now are apparent to me. After watching movies in Phantom mode and then watching full movies with the bi-wired speaker, I can honestly say that a good Center Channel is a must for 5.1 Home theatre.

What I noticed is that Dialog is clearer and requires less strain to hear it. Separation of front sound is better and less muddy and the front sound stage is much wider.

Can you have good sound from Phantom mode? Absolutely. But can it beat a 3 channel setup up front? No. I initially thought it could, but the difference is greatly apparent.

I had to custom build a stand to raise my TV in order to place the mammoth B&W HTM1 speaker in front, but I see myself enjoying home audio, especially movies a whole lot more.

If it is a money issue, buy the better fronts for now and run in Phantom mode. This is a good option especially if you like listening to music and want better performance. The great thing about home audio is that you can slowly upgrade and eventually bring in a solid Center if you chose.

Spacial issues, I'd recommend the same and run in Phantom Center. If you have the room though, and can afford a top notch Center Channel, I highly recommend it.

I really wanted to not have a Center channel, recoupe some cash and put it toward an ARCAM AVR350. I guess I'll have to wait, because my B&W Center Channel is staying put. That is, until I am fortunate enough to upgrade my system againd down the road... - :-)
I ran without a center channel for years, in Phantom Center mode. The only time it was an issue was with certain DVDs, Highlander Special Edition comes to mind, that were poorly mixed to begin with, and the dialogue was subsumed by the music and effects tracks. Most of the time, it was fine, though.
Miamicane94...A center channel speaker that is expressly designed for HT will have a restricted and taylored frequency response which makes speech more easily intelegible. However, such a speaker is not good for multichannel music, where the center (and surrounds) should be the same as the left and right fronts.