Do true audiophiles own Mcintosh gear

It seems like all the high-end dealers I have bought from or talked to think that Mcintosh is living on it's past reputation. The 2 stores that carry it locally are more mid-fi stores than high-end. I have a friend that swears by it but he hasn't listened to his Mcintosh in over 2 years. What do you think?
taters
Dave_b
"Anyone who has read Stereophile for more than a few years understands the relationships that are made between reviewers and companies."

I agree with you 100%. I've been subscribing to Stereophile for more than 15 years. That's why I made the statement, "I don't believe in magazine reviewer opinions as much as the next guy. I also stated, "I do believe in actual test numbers taken from Stereophile Magazine test reviews." Both MC501s and the C200 pre tested with excellent close to the highest state of the art levels of performance. Do you believe reviewers have anything to gain by reporting erroneous test data? It's illegal to publish incorrect data. Why would they put their careers on the line?

I also noticed my Dunlavy SC-IVAs pushing the famous Mac blue meters close to the far right. At that level I am pushing the volume level of the C200 pre to 75% - 80% of it's capacity.
Also, if you remember the last two MC501s meter increments at the far right end of the scale, go from 50 to 500 watts. Even at extreme musical peaks the meters have never hit the 500 watt level. They mostly stay halfway in between 50 and 500 watts. I have a fairly large dedicated listening room that requires high volume/decibel levels. The MC501s do just fine; like I said before they are the best I've heard as far as what I have owned.

This forum is considered a debate where people banter back and forth with their opinions hopefully based on sound experience and judgement. Your experiences are based on personal system set-ups including your own listening room, main source components and various other factors.

Nobody is saying, at least I'm not, that your opinions or observations are wrong, or you don't know what you are talking about. It's just that there are so many variables that dictate a systems performance. Your particular set-up incorporating McIntosh components or listening room geometry just might have not been to the optimum conditions or synergies that McIntosh components excel in.
Audia, points well taken...but test data as an ultimate indication of musicality? Plenty of gear measures well and still manages to fall short of accurate fidelity. Stepping back for a minute, I believe I mentioned that I thought well of the Mac stuff...I just don't feel it is all that great compared to other competitive products. Until you hear a bunch of other equipment over time under various circumstances, it is hard to understand what you are missing! All in all, synergy does go along way toward long term happiness. My time with the Mac gear was pleasurable and engaging for the most part. Over time however, I felt that recordings I new well had been served better via other amp/pre-amp combinations I have owned. Personal taste is everything..so...enjoy the amps your with...do do do do do do do do, do do do do do do do...do do do, do do do! (CSNY)