Dedicated CD Player Recommendation

Hi All,

Feel free to check out my virtual system to see my full system. In a nutshell, I've got an EAD CD-1000, Bryston BP-20, Bryston 4-NRB, and PMC LB-1 loudspeakers. I've got a small 9x9 room and listen to the PMCs nearfield. Last year, I added an inexpensive universal player, Pioneer 563a, and a turntable, Rega P-25, to the system. These, along with some aging ears, have exposed limitations with the CD-1000. Specifically, the treble glare is driving me nuts. The player has tons of detail along with articulate bass, but sounds a bit harsh with most female vocalists or strident recordings. I can throw the same disc into the Pioneer player and lose the glare. While it overall doesn't sound as good as the CD1000, it's a lot easier on my ears.

I've had a chance to audition a variety of players from Arcam, Jolida, Primare, Rega, and Simaudio. Of sub-$1200 players, the Jolida and Rega Planet had a nice smooth sound, but lacked the detail I've come to expect. At the higher price points, the Arcam CD-33 is very nice, but the Simaudio Equinox really grabbed my ears. I haven't brought it home for an audition yet. I would like to hear some other recommendations for players to look at new or used under $2500. I'd really like to hear from any other Bryston/PMC owners what players have great synergy in your system.

Thanks,
Erik
proggy
Hi All,

Thanks again for all the recommendations. To wrap up the thread, I wanted to let you know that I ended up buying a Naim CD5i. The two other players that really grabbed me were the Rega Jupiter and the Simaudio Equinox. Ultimately, the Rega players were too laid back. I really liked the Sim player, but I fell in love with the drive of the Naim player. I listen to a lot of metal, rock and jazz, which the Naim excels at. Even though it's still breaking in, I'm amazed at it's synergy with my Bryston/PMC rig.

As a side note, the Sony DVP-9000ES is proving to be quite a wonderful addition to the system, as well. It has been VERY slow to break in, but the SACD playback is beginning to really shine. At the $550 pricepoint on the NOS units popping up, I believe that this unit gives a taste of truly high end SACD playback for just a hair more than the current entry level ES changer.

Regards,
Erik
Erik,

You should hear what Dan at Modwright can do to your 9000ES with the addition of his mods and a tube output stage. If you think it's good now, you'll be floored. Simply outstanding!
I've been very tempted to send off the 9000ES to be modded. TRL and Modwright are the two that tempted me the most. However, I've read a number of older reviews that mention that the 9000ES doesn't show it's potential on either redbook or SACD until around 400 hours of use with that format. I've got around 150 hours of burn in on redbook and around 50 on SACD. Even my normally uninterested wife noticed a drastic improvement in sound after a few weeks of use. Before deciding if I want to mod, I want to let the plyer realize it's intrinsic potential. That may be all I need.

Regards,
Erik