Decision: keep the Project Classic or buy into a Linn Axis?

Greetings from Germany!

I might need some help to decide my next steps into vinyl. :) Currently I use a Project Classic with an pretty old AT-F2 cartridge, which is connected to an Atoll IN200 Signature with its P100 Phono Board.

I ran across a Linn Axis with Akito 2 tone arm and a semi damaged Benz Micro Glider cartridge (the needle is a little crooked, fix should be around 100-200€ at Benz themselves). The player was recently maintenanced during which the Elkos have been replaced.

So, the question is: should I move from a rather newish Project to an rather oldish Linn with a better system? I’d need to spent an additional 150€ to get the Axis.

Thanks for your feedback!

Andreas

andlum

If the seller can verify that the service on this unit included more than a recap, then it may be worth purchasing.

Thanks for your recommendation. The bill of the repair actually says: "complete revision, all caps changed. player fully adjusted". Price was 250€.

What should have been included from your point of view? I would like to ask the seller if that has also been done.

I am getting the feeling i should fight the GAS here. :)

@andlum Off the top of my head compete service should include:

-The suspension has been checked and adjusted. Every tech will do this, I'm sure it was.

-Motor inspected. Ask if it has the original motor. It's fine if it does. 

-Change bearing oil. Ask about this, very important. If not, how long has it been since it was done?

-Check condition of the belt. Ask if it's the original, mine lasted a long time.

-Make sure 33 & 45 speed control works.

-He did the caps and I'm sure checked voltage and it's up to spec.

I think that's it. If there's no manual, you can find instructions on how to balance the arm online. Oh yeah, many older Linns have broken hinges on the dust cover. Usually they can be found on Ebay.

Best of luck, I'd really like to know if the table works out for you.

Jim

@lowrider57 Thank you so much for the information. I forwarded your questions to the seller - translated to german, though. :) 

The hinges and the cover are fine, as far as the seller states. I hope "completely new adjusted" is about the suspension. 

Can you advise me on how I can check for speed control? I think I heard something about strobe discs?

Anyway, I will let you know about the seller's feedback.

@andlum 

Yes, you use a strobe disk to check speed. I'm sure this table has been checked. And many belt drives don't run at 33 1/3. They run at 33.5 or 33.1, you won't hear a difference.

I'm sure he checked and/or adjusted tonearm, platter movement and belt position. Axis uses a rubber mounted suspension system, the LP12 uses metal springs which can go out of alignment. The Axis is set it and forget it.

My last advise is to play records with the dust cover off. It will sound great.

a big +1 on this

bsmg

293 posts

I would keep the ProJect and just get a better cartridge.