DAC or. Lynx 2 sound card with Vista OS

Which will give the best sound quality in a Vista system-

A high quality DAC utilizing USB, or instead, the Lynx 2 sound card with Vista?

Or is there even a better sound card?

In a high resolution system- Avalon Eidolon Diamonds, etc.

thanks
128x128shaq
Following the install of the M audio AP192, using 16/44 via analog outs, I'd have to say for the entry fee, anyone seeking a DAC less PC addition to their stereo sys ought to take a peek... Do ensure the driver is the latest version. however.

I swapped it out of my main pc into a secondary one by myself. 15 - 20 min tops including driver install.
It sure doesn't sound like digital. The ICs will have a lot to do with that too.
just a thought here... you know lynx also makes a lesser input/output card with I believe the same didgital features for $700... it's the "L22". 2 ins and outs vs. 4. U Save $300... if you're determined to go that way.
hard question...

if you will not record music/sound, go for the DAC.

the lynx its an amazing soundcard, best drivers, verry nice AD/DA, nice wordclock, i own the AES16, and RME hdsp too, nice DSP mixer, but the DAC its a DAC.

if the DAC usb drivers are not working ok,
most low quality soundcards can output s/pdif from the 1/8" trs, any hi quality DAC with s/pdif in and jitter removal will work, Great! no need for USB. just good cables.
While USB is not the ideal form of transmission neither is S/PDIF. Having an internal soundcard (PCI, etc.) is also inherently a bad idea as you will output the noise, of which there is plenty, and interference from inside the computer.

An external connection whether it is called a DAC or soundcard is preferable. Firewire beats USB, but is far from a holy grail. An external power source (not computer powered) is also highly desirable. It then becomes product specific once you limit the basic disadvantages.

I fully agree with the above poster about the noise output with a detailed system. I have one. I'm still experimenting with output options, and my Paradisea+ DAC (non-USB) which enjoys a good synergy with my system. I also have Windows Vista and prefer to avoid soundcard driver issues. ;)

A well designed USB or Firewire DAC seems to be the best solution. There are assorted choices in these categories, and as usual one needs to try and hear for themselves in his/her system. USB chipset, DAC chipset, jitter reduction, capacitors, etc. all assembled leaves lots of variables. Welcome to the never ending hobby, lol.

Shaq

What was your decision ultimately, or for the time being, and how do you find it performancewise?