Confusion

My son is after me to buy the oppo BDP-95 so he can stream some lossless flac files and listen to SACD. I have an old spectral dma90 amp, 805 matrix speakers , and a spectral pre with a phono stage and a Merrill heirloom. Can we "hear' these files on a two channel system? Won't the sound just be down-converted? are high res and multichannel files the same? I need help before spending almost 1k on this for him
Thanks
Mike
Ag insider logo xs@2xmikegee2
Yes, you CAN listen to those formats, via the BDP-95. Read the portion of this spec sheet, regarding, "SACD" & "Additional Disc & Media Formats": (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/) For FLAC; just load the files on a USB drive, and plug it into the port on the '95'. The unit also provides for Ethernet connectivity(RJ45 port).
thanks all. I now have a little better idea

off to a couple of sites
thanks again
mike
Hi Mike
Yes, you can hear hi-res files from your stereo system, given that you plug your usb drive to the oppo (and i think that with the new ones even your computer). The Oppo will do the conversion to analog and send the signal (thru its analog stereo outputs, either balanced or RCAs) to your pre. You will be hearing hi-res in stereo, and obviously not in multichannel mode. The same with SACD discs. The Oppo will play them in stereo. Anyway, as others recommend here, you will find a lot of info in the thread for the new oppos at the avs forum. And there people are really friendly and knowledgeable. Now there is a big discussion with beta testers about the virtues, weaknesses and features of those players. Hope this helps