Cogent horns

Count me among those who have to say that the Cogent field-coil horn system is the single most realistic (and satisfying) speaker system I have heard. The system at RMAF 2006, powered by Welborne 45 (top) and 300B (bass) SETs, was *literally* jaw-dropping (for me).

(For whatever reason - I was not impressed to the same level the next year, in the very large conference room. Perhaps there is something about near(er) field listening these things. By all rights the Welborne room was *way* too small, but they sounded fabulous to me and many others.)

They are far beyond my price range.

How do the Classic Audio speakers with field coil drivers compare? And how come I see no mention at all of field coil options on Classic's site, including no pricing info? (I'm sure they're beyond me as well but just curious.)
paulfolbrecht
Hi Paul, If you feel large comp horn systems are worth exploring why not DIY a pair? Even DIY they are costly but not as bad as production. I know you are just as interested in field coils but I find no reason electrically or acoustically to use them though they are the flavor of the month. Where reasons why way back in the day audio moved to fixed mags. Happy listening
Hello Paul,

There are several reasons why your experience with the Cogent's differed from 2006 to 2007.

The system in 2006 was set up as a Cogent system by Cogent. The system in 2007 was owned and operated by Teres, and Chris Brady made his own crossover, which was completely different from the Cogent, and added a plasma tweeter, and pretty much completely changed the sound of the system. Another thing that is important to understand- when you heard the system in 2006 it had adequate power, being in a small room. In 2007 an impressive looking amp built by Chris Brady nonetheless produced only 3 watts output and the system was not multiamped. If you want to produce adequate SPL without going into distortion in a 2000 square foot ballrom, 3 watts is not going to cut it.

If you want to hear the kind of sound you heard in the room at RMAF in 2006, OMA is producing a four way system using the Cogent driver, as well as a version of the AC1 with a Cogent driver.

As far as DIY- you heard the Cogent system in 2007. I don't think I need add anything.

Jonathan
John (K), you know, it is not much short of a miracle that you live an hour from me and I have never bought a speaker from you, given that I've owned about 30 others in the last 4-5 years, and I talk to so many who have your speakers. But you wouldn't let me come over - something about no demo visits - I woulda bought something that day, probably. :)

I have to disagree with you a bit re: field coil technology. There may not be any 'good' (measurable) reason while they sound different (but I think there is, actually), but such is the case with much in audio. They sound different.
Jonathan,

I have to say I like a man who tells it like it is (or as he sees it, at least) and also that what you say makes some sense.

FYI, my comments here (the thread) may have seemed rather out of the blue, but actually I was initially trying to respond to another (older) thread. After several tries, it just wouldn't 'take', so I started a new one.

And I am just posting out of curiosity: the Cogents and the Classic line with field coils are (or almost certainly are) beyond my reach. (As are the AC1s which I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing.)

It's just nice to know where the top of the heap is.