Cleaning vinyl - am I using this thing right???

I have owned a VPI 16.5 for a couple of years, but only in the past two months have I been (re)immersed in vinyl. Now I'm wondering just how to get rid of all that junk in the grooves. I spin each side in the 16.5 with a few drops of RR Vinyl Wash, then use the VPI brush to spread the drops out and hopefully disloge the junk. Then I run two revolutions with the vaccuum on and repeat for the other side.

The problem is that there are STILL pretty fair ticks and pops, and sometimes I can actually see the junk. It just doesn't get the junk out (and neither does the Hunt fibre brush). I *thought* I was using the VPI per directions - is there some other secret handshake necessary to get these things cleaner?
blw
If static is your main issue, I can highly recommend Gruv-Glide. Nothing I've used (to include zero-stat, LAST, etc.) removes, prevents or neutralizes static as well as Gruv-Glide. We took various field effect meters & the like and measured it in the lab, on records and CD's and found it to render the lowest reading consistantly.

I now use Gruv-Glide on my computer screen, CD's, and my machining equipment. It outdoes Static Guard by a wide margin, and is still economical.
as a satisfied user of Zerostat I take exception to the statement that "it does nothing". These are great little gizmo's & I wouldn't even sell mine for twice what I paid for it >25 years ago; it still works wonders.
On removing static.
A simple carbon fiber brush has always done the trick for me. Put your clean record on the turntable, brush over the surface while touching your other hand to ground (important). Use the top of your preamp (or wherever your turntable ground goes) for a ground. This way you form a conducting path through your body. The carbon fiber brush is a good conductor and you'll be discharging the static build up while taking off surface dust. I've been doing this for over 20 years and never felt the need for a Zerostat. Typically I machine clean my records only once and carbon fiber brush before each play. Its easy and it works.

Anyone know where you can get the Tourmat stuff these days?

John Moschella
BLW: I used a device called the Groovmaster (they are sold on Ebay). It seals off the label portion (both sides @ once) of an LP so that it can be placed under running water, or completely submerged if you wish.

I now use running filtered/warm tap water instead of distilled (we just installed a better filter) for the first heavy rinse (also use a Water-Pik when I have the energy for my seal act) and afterwards follow up with cleaning solution and a brush (I make my own solution). The final rinse is done with water and plenty of it.

This works for me and I purchase tons of used vinyl.

The Groovmaster sells outright for $35 and a first rinse (using this device) followed by a run through your machine may give you the results that you desire.

I never brush an LP before it has had such a power rinse as I do not want to grind contaminants into the vinyl surface. I also use quite a bit of cleaning solution as my home brew is very inexpensive (probably go through a gallon every for every 40-50 LP's).

Once the LP's are clean they just get a carbon brush follow up (before play). Once an LP has been cleaned it goes into a new liner.
Dekay- A little more info on Groovmaster, please. Are they still being made and, if so, who carries it? I don't care to use eBay, so purchasing one there is not a good option.