Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Hey Quido, a correction on the REF600's they use the NC1200 switching power supply but with the NC500 output board, so does the Acoustic Imagery Atsah 500's and the Nord One Up mono amps, these two amps are around 2K
It is the NuForce MCA20 which is based on the sta-100 modules I think?
Various reports state they only get better with burn in time and if that is the case then I will be even happier!
Last night we watched terminator genysis which is very heavy on gunshots, explosions and all round action and the sound effects were truly stunning with our full 7.1 system, vast improvement over the old Emotivas, and this is with barely 20 hours run time on it.

Uberwaltz,

Like 1markr I'd recommend the Red Dragon S500.  I've had mine for almost a year, and although it may not yet be fully burned in (I don't listen for many hours each week) I am really pleased with the sound: clear, transparent, very well-controlled and articulate bass, natural-sounding treble, and well balanced overall.  Because I live in Britain it was more expensive for me to obtain than it is for you in the USA, but I'm very glad I bought it.   As you get a 45-days return option you can really hear what it's like in your room and with your equipment.

The rest of my equipment resembles yours: Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Townshend Allegri preamp, and B&W 804S speakers. 

Red Dragon s500 under serious consideration!
Read the reviews and like what I see
Now to find one......

I received my PS audio S300 amp on Friday.  Initially, the sound had no bottom end and sounded THIN.  At that rate it was on a fast track for a return if it didn’t open up with some more time.

I recently purchased a Marantz AV8802A which has balanced connection capability.  This was one of my motivations for purchasing the S300.  

I decided to remove my MIT single ended cables ($600 for comparison purposes) and switched to the balanced connections (Mogami XLT $80) which are the only balanced cables I own.  HORKY FINORKY!  and WOW! simultaneously!!!!  Suddenly, the amp exploded with detail, bottom end heft and specificity of instrument placement.  Once again, WOW!  I had no idea an amplifier could be such a significant difference.  This literally kicked sand in the face of my Outlaw 140 watt per channel amp.  I had no complaints with that amp either.  I was very pleased with it prior to this.  It’s a great home theater work horse.  2 channel music listening?  No comparison.

Speakers: Martin Logan ESL