CD sound quality

I have Wharfedale Evolution 30 speakers powered by NAD 730BEE amp. CD player is my philips DVD. Some CD's sound almost like the music is muted! or, it sounds like something is in front of the speakers blocking the sound, like a blanket or a large piece of furniture. Imaging actually seems pretty good.

could a low-end philips DVD player + basic cables be the cause of this?

Thanks for your advice
landoa
Bonvoyage - I think Rrcpa gave you the right steps to try next. Try changing the path to see if you can isolate which part of the path is causing the problem. The way you're describing the problem doesn't sound like a typical compatability, or even quality, issue.
From what was added to this thread by Bonvoyage, and through his own logical deductions, it seems that the problem is mostly the recordings and tonal preferences.

If treble is missing on one disc, yet bass is missing on the next, that sounds more like a variance amongst recordings and production issues. What makes me further believe this to be the issue is that FM sounds okay. This means that the basic system i.e. integrated and speakers are capable of providing sonics that are found acceptable, IF the program material is of the tonal balance that Bonvoyage appreciates.

Believe it or not, FM is a highly processed signal i.e. added equalization, compression, etc... On most FM stations, the treble and bass are slightly boosted and the midrange slightly cut. This would add the brilliance, warmth and "oomph" that Bonvoyage evidently seems to desire.

With that in mind, you either have to find equipment that gives you what you want with the tone controls bypassed. It is either that or not be afraid to use the tone controls that you have, sometimes in moderation even though you think it needs more boost than what your speakers and / or amp can handle.

Many folks end up chasing their tails for far too long in this type of situation. They change every component, cable, parameter of installation, etc... available to them without achieving the results that they want or expect. Many times, a simple tweak of a tone control, used within reason and adjusted recording by recording, could have saved them hundreds / thousands of dollars. On top of that, they would have been enjoying their music a LOT more.

Coming to realize that you bought music because you liked what you heard in it is the first step here. The second step is to achieve that same enjoyment. If it means altering the recording somewhat, which was done in massive fashion most all the time in the studio, one shouldn't feel guilty about that. Buy what you think is the best and do what is necessary to enjoy the music. Nobody is monitoring your use of tone controls when you listen and we won't revoke your "audiophile badge". Sean
>
Thanks again for your comments. Sean, I entirely agree with you. I am willing to use tone and balance controls to get the sound I want, if its possible. But my main purpose was to describe how the sound is defficient and what seemed to correct it in order to identify what problem I am experiencing.

Rrcpa, those are good troubleshooting suggestions and, once I get a window when my wife isnt around (complaining about hearing the same tracks over and over) I will definitely check that out.

Are we putting NAD quality control into question?! I thought that's part of what you pay for! Anyway, i've got a 2 year warranty on that sucker and they're getting it back if the AUX channels sound better.
Hi everyone,

There is definitely a problem with the cabling. My Wharfedale's have bi-wiring hookups. I left the metal connector for the two sets of terminals on the speakers thinking I could connect the cables just to one set. Logically, this would be fine. But, I moved the cable hookup from the bottom pair to the top pair and now only have treble from that speaker! the (brass?) connecting plate is still in place.

Do I need to send these speakers back to have their innards checked out?

Thanks
Bonvoyage:

I seem to remember that Wharefedales, for the Diamond Series anyways, require using the bottom pair of terminals to work properly. Don't know about the Evolution series.

Regards, Rich