Cd Ripping - is it better to use inbuilt CD drive of laptop or use an external Cd drive

I have started ripping my CD collection now.

I use Jriver 22 with my windows based laptop for ripping. I started ripping with the inbuilt Cd drive of the laptop (HP).

Then for testing i got a new Dell Cd drive and used it for ripping on the same computer. The bass energy of the music was very less as compared to the one from the inbuilt CD drive. I guess the USB mini cable must be one of the major culprits in this.

Can anyone throw some light on which is better - ripping with the inbuilt CD drive of the laptop or use an external CD drive with a better USB mini cable.
g_chops
With error correction in ripping software, IMO quality of CD drive is not very important.   The software will read as many times as needed to get all the data, batch process.

But in real time, such as CD player, where data is read only once, quality of CD drive is very important.    Some companies such as MSB, use error correction buffers a whole track in memory before play.  

IMO CD treatment might help with real time but not batch processing.
knghifi1,485 posts12-26-2016 8:32amWith error correction in ripping software, IMO quality of CD drive is not very important.   The software will read as many times as needed to get all the data, batch process.

But in real time, such as CD player, where data is read only once, quality of CD drive is very important.    Some companies such as MSB, use error correction buffers a whole track in memory before play.  

IMO CD treatment might help with real time but not batch processing.
All good points Knghifi. Boulder also use a buffer on their 1021 network player, whilst Vitus Audio's approach is to build a better transport to minimize the work for the error correction circuit.

Re: the benefit of using cd treatment for rips, I was thinking mainly of reducing the time the cd takes to rip..not the sound of the final ripped album as such.
Thnaks guys for all your suggestions . I have installed the EAC on my computer with accurate rip on. The ripping qulaity is much better now. I have started ripping in non compressed .wav format. I have ripped well known artists from original cds. the problem i am facing now is that no data on the artist or the track is available in EAC. When i rip the same CDs on JRiver all the album cover art and track data etc. is avialable.
 I know i am new to EAC thus would like some assistance on how to get metadata in EAC