CD Player Woes

My Rotel 970 CD player is approximately 6 years old and for the second time now the transport section has failed. (Skipping)The company wants $235 to repair it. Is this a normal failure rate (yes I play it a lot) for CD players or should I be upset with Rotel? I'm thinking of going to a separate transport but I hate to spend the money and have the same problems. Are more expensive players/transports that much better? Is it safe to buy a used transport? (I recently picked up a Aragon D2A)As a Lutheran Pastor I don't have a lot of money to work with here. Any help would be appreciated.
revdog
yes, czbbcl, i do use a c-j P9 with a dR1 transport for some
three years now. no problems, extremely musical and with the
Genesis Digital Lens, sounds even better ( some other CD's
like my previous Phillips 1000 - excellent also, for its time- didn't seem to benefit from the Lens, but the c-j does . The c-j has a remote controled volume, so it's hooked
straight into the amps ( bryston 7ST's they are ), as the 1V
that's delievered is exactly the input that the amps need.
Playing with tubes is also a good ideea: so far the NOS Mullard proved to be the most musical choice for this set up. Have no ideea what such a c-j would sell for, as they weren't too many around, but personally I like it very much.
Try spraying the laser light bulb with a compressed air? May not be anything wrong with the cd player at all.
I have a rotel 970 and have had no problems with it, but it still doesn't have a ton of use, hopefully it won't follow yours