cassettes CAN sound better than vinyl.

cassettes CAN sound better than vinyl. with a good type ii and a Nakamichi CR-7
leemurray2007

I owned numerous Nakamichi decks and used the MR1 to record a few master recordings. Technology has transcended cassettes long ago. My biggest complaint about cassette decks and especially Nakamichi is the poor reliability. I recall sending mine MR1 decks in for repair multiple times to Nakamichi and the cost  was significant.  All modern digital based recording devices are far superior. If you want improved sound?: Eat less cheese!!

I have both a vintage Akai reel to reel player and I also have a 1980s vintage JVC cassette tape deck. The discussion about whether tape is better than vinyl, or even MP3's misses the point of tape. There is still a niche for tape in this world. For me it is live recordings you can't get on vinyl or CD or anywhere else for that matter, except the internet. I have made tapes (reels and cassettes) from digital sources of live concerts and such. Sure, they are not hifi but they sound fine. Why would I do this? To me, the internet is incredibly cluttered and is just a vast pile of things to sort through. I like to find the gems, the ones I really want to keep, and put them on tape. Having a physical version of a concert makes me more likely to listen to it, and it also makes it far easier to find than finding something on the internet. Also, stuff can be deleted from the internet and simply vanish. I guess you can store all this stuff on a hard drive, but again, that too can get extremely cluttered. There is just something about having a physical copy of this really cool concert you found.