Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
I don't think you do. Buying a used cart is worse than buying a used smartphone.

Yes there will be honest sellers who have took great care of their stuff. They are usually the ones who will point out the smallest of blemishes and have kept all of the paperwork. However, for every one of these there's at least a dozen who should have the phrase 'caveat emptor' emblazened over their ad and tattooed upon their foreheads.
the OP makes an amusing comparison between
Magico's and Elacs - funny thing is that Magicos really need both grunt and dexterity to really come alive - think Soulution and Constellation. You ain't gonna make em 'jump' nor would anybody pair magic's with a £400 mass market amp with significantly less power and grunt - although with the Elacs you most probably can and will. So your comparative sample merely supports the viewpoint that one does not pair a LOMC with a load of equipment that does not match the MC. bringing out the best in a top flight MC is going to be a far more expensive and fussy procedure than a £200 MM like a cheaper mass market speaker against a high end design
Without a list of your equipment there is no way to determine weather or not you could notice a difference at any level of cart. Ie: TT phono pre, arm, amp, speakers ect. Give us a base point to start. 
@madavid0

Where do you find rare cartridges that compete with the finest modern cartridges?

It’s all abouit digging, same with rare records, can be different sources in different countries. One of my facebook friend discovered NOS (New Old Stock) stash of very rare JVC Victor cartridges along with Audio-Technica cartridges in Las Palmas. Those units were brand new, never used, forgotten stock in the old record shop. In the same shop he has bought Kenwood L-07D an extremely rare direct drive turntable. The guy came there for the vintage records, not for equimpent or not even for the cartridges. The price for a stash of those rare carts was nothing compared to the market value today (he has bought everything). It was about 3-5 years ago. You never know where you can find stuff like that for cheap, but if you can’t do that yourself, some honest audiophiles selling it for reasonable prices, but normally it sells quickly!

The prices only goes up (not down) since some amazing cartridges have been discovered in Raul’s thread on audiogon and approved my many serious audiophiles (and tested against modern MC). 10 years ago the prices even for vintage MM cartridges were so incredibly low, so the smart users of this forum purchaced many of them. Now we know the top contenders for sure. Some of those cartridges were extremely expensive in the time when they were made (in the 70's and in the 80's). Where you can find it? How do you know which one to buy? Do your own search at least read this forum before posting what you’re posting.

If you know nothing, can’t find nothing, at least respect those private sellers (audiophiles) who discovered a rare units, shared their knowledge online, made honest grading, provided pictures etc for their customers. Anytime you buy anything on ebay you’re fully protected and full return is guaranteed by "ebay buyer’s protection", so even total idiots are protected. Ebay is always on the buyer’s side if you fill a claim. It’s hard to imagine a better service for the buyers. Do you think in this situation the seller will try to offer a non working unit or to rob a customer? It’s impossible. People who keep telling you it’s a risk to buy used cartridges knows nothing about it, really! In the worst case buyer can waste time, but it’s impossible to lose money on it (return is guaranteed by ebay’s buyer protection). It can be a nighmare or pain in the ass for the dishonest seller, but not for the buyer.

But actually it’s nice to read the description and ask question before buyin’ anything to maske sure what you’re buying. I have no idea why you’re talking about discogs here, selling records is not like selling a high-end cartridges! But even on discogs everyone is protected because you pay via paypal and you can always ask for full refund if you’re not happy with grading etc. People may have 10 000 records in the shop and can make mistakes in grading, but it’s hard to imagine anyone has even 1000 cartridges.
I love these discussions and most of the responses. With all things considered I gave up chasing Audio Nirvana long ago. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. In the world of audio sound there are countless high end and ridiculously expensive pieces and components and ways to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars in search of the very best sound reproduction money could possibly buy. I always say if you have it then smoke it!
Chances are pretty darn good your ears are the weakest link and if the truth be told you likely can't honestly hear all that much difference between a decent $200 cartridge played on the same table and arm as a $2,000 cartridge. It is all good and it is all OK because some here can hear the difference if the change the wires from their amp to the speakers while most cannot.
I will always be a staunch believer that once you put together a decent system the room acoustics have a great deal more to do with how pleasing the sound is than most of the rest. You can put a really great system in a really terrible room and I assure you, it will sound terrible. After many years of working in loud environments and loving loud music it is my Audiologist who tells me the real truth and that I can't hear for $heet any way. I am still perfectly fine with my Altec Model 19s and a Luxman PD 121 TT with SME arm and a Denon 103 MC cartridge with a step up matching transformer. Just decide what sounds good enough to you in your listening room and sit back while you spin some clean vinyl.