Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
Post removed 
05-21-09: Tvad
My second reaction is to wonder if you have matched any of the 16 pairs of
speakers with an optimal amplifier. Some of the qualities you describe as
unsatisfactory (brightness, for example) can often be attributed to tonal
imbalance due to the speaker being driven by an amplifier that does not
produce midrange and bass decibel levels in balance with the highs.
And also room treatment and placement. Eyediver's dismissive summary of the Mirage OM-5 bi-polar speaker (which he mistakenly called an Ohm 5 dipole) indicates he may not be spending enough time with each speaker to assess proper tuning and placement. Reviews of the OM-5 indicated it needed at least a 16x18 room to not overload it, and needs a listening spot at least 8-10 feet away to get the tonal focus that the speaker can offer.
I've responded to many of you in the other post.
Again: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1242945815
I wonder if Eyediver is gaining anything toward narrowing his speaker search from this discussion between Bobbyapalkovic and 9rw?

as usual, the venerable Tvad has made an excellent point. At least Mr. T has not jumped in..
Yeah, where's Mr. T when you really need him? He can derail a thread with the best of them. But then his threads are derailed from the beginning.

Eyediver is learning that some people take this very seriously, as they should considering the kind of investment that can be involved. Besides, I think his question has already been answered.