Buzzzzzing Transformers

My solid state monoblock transformers buzz. I use a CJ tubed preamp (PV9a) and a modified TNT Turntable. I use an SDS for motor stability and a PS audio 300 power conditioner which I set in to the very basic mode without upping the frequency. Could this conditioner be the source of the problem?
tphalieros
Great story Chris, I love it!, Now I've got to tell you more about that stuff. Back in 1990 I met 2 guys that I became friends with. They had Photon monoblocks but also stereo units. Roger Paul was selling his amps through Victor Goldstein who was importing then the "Jadis" line. Victor knew my friends and had them audition the Photons side by side with a Krell, the Photons won hands down and even though they cost $6000 for the monoblocks My 2 friends bought them. Later they also bought one of the stereo units. The interesting, and a little unsettling thing
was that Roger kept experimenting, and each of his amps had different wiring or power cords, even different make caps. He never provided schematics and no one could repair the amps except him.
One fine day, one of my friends called me and said that he saw an ad for Photon monoblocks selling for $1.500. I bought the units immediately, they were heavily modified by a Techie tweaker and had a plethora of expensive parts added to them, their interior looked like a plummer's nightmare! In addition, UPS damaged BOTH packages dropping each one down and managing to bent each unit's faceplate at the point where the handles emerge. I got $1,200 insurance compensation and Roger suggested that he would install his newly patented H-Cat circuit which was inspired by his work on goverment computers, for just about the amount I got from the insurance. At that time Roger had closed his company and changed his profession. He never advertised, believing that word of mouth from satisfied customers, would be enough to sell his amps, a mistake, which backfired and he had to go out of business and in to debt.
My 2 friends still own the Photons but have since moved to tubed amps. I have stuck with them since mine are one of a kind and no one, that I know, has this tech in his Photons.
The only problem is that should anything happened to them, unless Roger accepts to repair them, I am out of luck!
In case anybody cares, I fixed the fizzy noise in my PS Model 2 amp. It was one of the input section transistors. Now the DC offset is 0 only with the pot turned all the way to one extreme, which is a little weird. Oh well, it seems to sound OK now anyway, and the noise is gone.
Tphaliaros,
You said monoblocks. Both buzzing? If so, I don't know what the odds of both amps having a xformer failure at the same time are but I'll bet it's real low.
I had the same problem with a big Krell and a trip to the factory and a huge sum of money replaced the xformer and the buzz was gone. I hope you are not plugging your amps into the P300. I use a P300 on my front-end also and I know that it's not large enough for any kind of high current loads.
If you are starving the amps for current, the xformers could be complaining. Do you have dedicated circuits? Maybe not necessary but always better. Also, It could be as simple as loose wiring connections at your circuit breaker. These connections should be tight. If extremely loose you may be able to actually feel heat build-up on the front of the breaker. These should be checked. If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself get and electrician. It's tough to listen to music if you are dead unless you listen exclusively to harp music. Check the wiring connections at the outlets too, to be sure they are sufficiently tight. Loose connections can create a high resistance creating heat gain and can limit current to your amps. Especially if they are big.
Good luck,
Woodrow
More to discover