Building the Best "Used" Budget System under $3000

I've been reading several threads on all best equipment (most of it out of my price range). I'm convinced, for a music lover with a novice ear, that an affordable quality system can be assembled from "pre-owned" equipment. So, if you were building a COMPLETE system from the ground up for your best friend who was just getting started and only had a maximum of $3000 to spend, what would you recommend. This system is for the HiFi music lover only (no Home Theather) and should includes analog and CD. An expert would also consider the future need to upgrade once the "bug" takes over.
whyt_rabbit
Amplifier: Jolida 302A/B(agree with my good friend Gthirteen"Joe") - $650. One fine amp, a rocking tube amp with a sweet tone

Speakers: Totem Arro - $600. Wow, these dynamic little floorstanders image like the devil himself

CD player: Music Hall MMF25 - $350. Not the best, but about as good as most anything you'll find and not out of place on a very high end system

Cable
Speaker: Coincident CST 0.5 - $100/8 ft pair. If they charged $1000 for this cable, a lot of Audiogoners would never stop talking about it, but at it's entry level price it COMPLETELY flies under the radar. Very close to reference quality speaker cable
Interconnect: HomeGrown Audio Silver Lace - $100/1m. Reference quality interconnect
Power Cord: Homemade - $30

Grand total: Under $2000, and I could live with this system for years and years. The only area I may ever have to upgrade is to add a sub($200-$300) later.

Spend the rest of the money on music!
Thanks everyone for the advice. A lot of differing opinions. The question originally came from a Rolling Stone Article I read a year back on creating an entry level Audiophile system for under $2000. I can't remember all the components but I think this system had the following:

Rega 300 TT
HH Scott 299c Tube amp
Sony CD player maybe??
Used LS3/5A Speakers
Some tuner???

Most of the stuff was purchased off ebay and it really got me started thinking about upgrades. I'm considering the Carver - Sunfire Sig. Series Amp (300WPC) and some B&W CDM9NT speakers. I already have a Rega 300 and I'm looking for the Ah Njoe TjoeB 4000 CD. I'll probably use some of the advice hear on cables and turn it up!!

If anyone has any comments on the Carver I'd appreciated it. I can't find any comments on it on this site.
The Sunfire is a nice amplifier. I would not hesitate going with it. Personally, I would still opt for the magic of the Jolida and the Totems, but a solid state amp may offer more long term flexibility when it comes to loudspeakers. The Carver will be able to put out quite a lot of power.

GOOD LUCK!
Pass Aleph 3 $900
AES-a3 pre $350
Sony SC555 SACD $500
Triangle Zerius $700
Discovery 123 8' $120
Kimber PBJ 2x$50

Total: $2670

Money to spare (or for different source), and components easily re-sold!