Break in period

What would the forum say about how long or how many hours of play time needs to occur before you can establish that your new loudspeakers are playing at optimum performance? I've heard opinions on this all over the scale!! Does this depend on the type and brand of loudspeaker, material of drivers, power being driven, etc? Can we agree on a nominal time period? I realize it may also depend on how loud you play them as well. Any thoughts? Many thanks.
pdn
"Does this depend on the type and brand of loudspeaker, material of drivers, power being driven, etc? "

Obviously it does. I'd say anywhere from 100-200 hrs. would generally be enough for most new speakers.

-RW-
Mine only starting to "sing" after 6 months of mostly weekends playing ie: 500 hours+.......
BTW, once broken in, you may want to play with your speakers positioning to suit vs when brand new.
Rather than give a total number of hours, I recommend you play spkrs low volume in the beginning perhaps even using compressed music or music without aggressive transients & dynamics. Increase volume gradually. Also, give yr new spkrs a little time to "warm up" (i.e. the voice coils) before you play loud from cold. All of this shouldn't take more than a total ~30-50hrs altogether.
What I can't understand about break-in is why speakers, CD players and other components -- even cables -- can sound great the day you take them out of the box and THEN start sounding like hell for what seem like interminable amounts of time. The worst, for me, were the Gallo Reference 3s, which became hard, brittle, airless and downright painful after about 6 hours, only coming back to life 150 hours later. I'm going through the same thing, if not to the same degree, with a new Raysonic CD 128 CD player. Sounded terrific Wednesday (this is Friday) and has been getting worse every day since. Dave