Best upgrade for the money ?

My system is currently comprised of a Sim Audio integrated amplifier, Micromega Stage 2 CD player, and Polk speakers. I'd like to improve the overall sound of my system but don't know where to start. I have good not great interconnects - Wireworld. My speaker cable is MIT(again better than average). I'm using the power cords that came with my equipment. Can anyone suggest where my money might best be spent to upgrade my system. I guess what I'm asking is what would have the most impact for say 500 - 700 dollars. Tweaks, better interconnects, higher end power cords? Any and all input would be helpful. Thanks - Rob
rkuryl56d9
I've got to agree with Dekay, Glreno, and all who support the need for speaker placement and room treatment. The most important thing about speakers, as with real estate, is Location, Location, Location. Once you've addressed these basics, then take a look (listen?) at your speakers, electronics etc. I have 5 ASC tube traps and 3 ASC panel traps in my listening room, and I consider them essentials. I'd also like to try the room lens. But you don't necessarily have to have the pro products-- like ASC, ie they're sort of expensive. Along with speaker placement, furniture, wall hangings, and anything that will act as diffusors (book cases?) can be useful. Also read Robert Harley's book "The Complete Guide to High End Audio", 2nd edition. This is all IMO. Good Luck. Craig.
I agree, proper speaker placement is critical. If speakers are not properly placed...most notably your imaging, soundstaging & bass performance will suffer greatly. Take the Polks & position them properly...you will experience a large sonic improvement. Now I suggest you sell the Polks plus add another $700 to your profit & buy a pair of high end speakers (I can't suggest a particular speaker because I don't know how much you would get for the Polks, but trust me there are many better than Polk). Then take those speakers & position them properly to realize a HUUUUGE sonic improvement over your previous sound.
I agree with all of your postings - the polks are the weakest link. They will be the first to go. Power cables - will I hear a BIG improvement with upgraded ones or is this more of a minor tweak?? The other option I have considered is adding a DAC. How much will this improve things? I'll also start playing with speaker positioning once I decide on a new pair. What's the normal $ amount to spend on a good/not great pair. Thank you all for your input. I now have a place to start. Rob
Rob: Forget about the power cords for now. They will make a relativily minor improvement $ for $ as compared to speaker replacement. You need to decide on your speakers before considering a DAC or anything else. Everything is system dependent in order to achieve some sort of synergy. You can buy good used speakers starting at the $750 range & approach great at the $1500-$2000 range. As an example...I saw a pair of Totem 1's on audiogon for $750 which will blow out your Polk's, however they are limited in the low end. You also need to be care with the efficiecy of the speaker, as I'm not sure how many WPC your amp puts out. Hope this helps.