Best system for the budding audiophile?

What began as a search for new speakers has rapidly evolved into the development of a new system. After reading many reviews (none of which are negative - Hmmm?!), I am humbly turning to this sage group for recommendations.

I am an avid listener of classical and jazz. I occasionally listen to select blues and rock, but that's not my first love. For me, I like a piano to sound like a piano, a guitar like a guitar, etc. No coloration, just the facts, so to speak. I am not a bass hound but prefer a detailed midrange and clear highs. I also look for a open spacious sound stage for symphonic pieces. I have a large room 15' by 20' but can't be too fussy with placement. I am budgeting around $5,000 for my new system.

Based on this information, what system would you build (Amp, CD player, speakers)? which is better bookshelf speakers with stands or floorstanding? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks in advance,
cdilascia
Five thousand is 67% higher than three thousand but I submit a 5k system will not sound two thirds better than a three thousand dollar system. There is a diminshing return. That said,you might try this system:

Adcom 200 watt power amp about 5-6c used
Morrison ELAD pre amp about 5c used
Sony 333es cd player aaabout 5c used
Magnum Dynalab or Fanfare tuner 5-6c used.
a good antenna $50?
a pair of Magnepan 1.6qr s about 11-12c used

Your point about reviews in magazines that accept advertising is well taken. Try the reviews at audioreview.com. Disregard the reviews from obvious shills and children begging for attention. The tenor of the remaining reviews should give you a fair idea but, in truth, you won't know until you've listened for yourself.
Use the other two grand for cd s or rent.
Just my subjective opinion.

Happy hunting,
p
This will be VERY difficult to find all of the pieces to (and it is over your $5k tag), but worth considering:

Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD Player @ $1500 used
Audio Prism Mantissa Tube Line Stage @ $1100 used
Audio Prism Debut II Tube Power amp @ $1100 used
Red Rose Music R3 speakers @ $1600 used
Osiris 24" stands @ $200 used

Red Rose also offer some pretty inexpensive speaker cables and IC's ... you would essentially have the Red Rose Baby Reference system for about 1/3 (or less) of the list price.

Jeff
For $5,000 for a 2-channel system, you clearly want the Magnepan 1.6QR's as your speakers. Gigantic soundstage, stunning transparency, life-like tonal balance, and totally seamless sound down to around 40Hz makes these true giant-killers. Buy a pair used at around $1,200 (new $1,700). Next get a Bryston 3B-ST amp, an Adcom GFP-750 pre-amp, and a cheap Denon dvd player/changer connected to a Bel Canto Design upsampler/jitter reducer/DAC 1.1 (or the new 192 Hz model). That would be a KILLER $5k system. Good luck.
I second Ccmman's recommendations but would encourage you to install one to two dedicated 20 amp circuits using 10 gauge wire. Include a hospital or audio grade outlet. Next, save a few bucks for power cords, ICs and speaker wire. In your price range, Harmonic Technology Truthlinks may not fit, but I have enjoyed mine.
Happy listening,
Joel
I agree with Garfish and all about the speakers being the first choice. They define the voice and the amplification/source needs. For your type of music I recommend the following used system:

1. Audio Physic Virgo speakers (2500)
2. Audio Research CA-50 integrated amp ( 1600)
3. Harmonic tech truthlink interconnect (125)
4. Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables $350
5. Sony XA7ES CD player (950) or Perpetual tech p1/p3 w/modwright upgrade and an old CD player (1200). You might even want to pony up for an used sony 777 SACD player at 1600. I would.

This comes to about 5500, but lowering by 500 will take a big bite out of performance. It will be a great system with a beautiful midrange and very natural sounding instruments. It will also be fairly small and very nice looking. If you want to go solid state, I would go with a pass labs aleph 5 amp (1500) and direct drive it from the sony XA7ES (you don't need a preamp with these cd players).

The virgo speakers are narrow floorstanders. They should be well out into the room to sound good. A good way to use these is NOT spike them so you can slide them out into the room when you want superior performance. The move quite easily over carpet or hardwood (with felt pads on the base).