Best Subwoofer(s) for SF Guarneri Homage

Recently purchase a pair of Sf Guarneri Homage's. I knew i would need a sub (or two) eventually, since my musical tastes spans range from chamber music to rock. My room is dedicated but small (12.9 x 14 feet with 8ft ceilings) I am still working on speaker positioning to get the 40 hz and up range just right. Rest of the system is full blown LP12 (Lingo, Ekos, Arkv) into a Linto pre-pre into a BAT VK5iSe, into Bryston 7B ST's. Interconnects are Emerald x3 (all balanced except for tonearm cable and pre-pre tp pre) and speaker cables are AQ Argent in a bi-wire configuration. Digital duties performed by A Muse 8 into a Muse 296. Have heard good things about REL, but no way to audition (no local dealer).. so thinking of going the Velodyne HGS route. Thoughts? This is a "first iteration" system cobbled together "on the run" as I moved back to the US last month and had to jettison most of my 220 volt equipment, so any comments/thoughts beyond the sub are welcome!! I find the tonal balance a tad bright, and the SFGH's don't quite "click" unless pushed fairly hard (95 dB peaks or so measured from the listening positioning). Thanks! Alex
128x128alexc
Dear All Thank you very much for your postings. I will be contacting Ivysound directly to hopefully learn more about what has worked (and not) on his Extremas. To Onhwy61, thanks for the feedback and the compliment on the system - I am probably a couple of months away from making a firm subwoofer purchase decision, and have lots of tweaking left to do on speaker/listening chair positioning. Don't worry, I do not listen at 95 dB - but only when the peaks got to this level did the bass really begin to fill in (above 40 Hz, anyway), and thus my potential quest for a sub.
Being you have the Muse 8 & 296 have you given thought to the Muse 18? Still the Class A component its always been and its performance remains unparalleled.
I used to have Guarneri and I did try REL sub and I did get rid of it in 2 months...sure you get better bass and bottom but you will loose all that magical midrange and Guarneri's are about mids....who knows maybe they will work in your setup. :-)
Nice rig, Alex, I may recommend the REL subs very well, especially the STENTOR and STUDIO models, since they are real high-end performers as intended. The STUDIO is really a whole league above the STENTOR model, and I sincerely say it will fit and work in any system, no matter the cost and quality of speaker. So mr.Duzajabba his problem in the midrange is interesting, because i'm sure it has to be with placement,adjustment and room interaction, and not with the sub itself. what model REL did you use ? The GUARNIERI speakers are musical instruments really, what a great choice you have made. PLS. audition the REL STUDIO, if you are able.. Enjoy the music. Ron
one more comment about your (small) room - you may have a serious problem w/your turntable, especially if you ad subwoofers, in such a set-up. i'd try to get your turntable into the next room - perhaps w/a long set of interconnects to your linto...