Best speaker under $500

I am looking for my first audiophile system and am, of course, on a budget. Any suggestions? Thanks.
pmcmanis
They say you can be a project manager by mastering two phrases - "It depends" and "We can't tell with the information presently available". Depends on what you have to drive them - any recommended pair, not just Jim's Apogees. Are you willing to buy used? And do you want stand-mount (then you've got to budget for decent stands) or floorstanding? And, of course, the usual questions on your room (size, finishes, etc) and listening preferences (genres, volume, etc). Did you really think this was going to be that easy? ;-)
The stage and Maggies are great speakers. I will now beat the drum for the B&W CDM-1 ... used can be found in your range ... yes they need stands, and won't really sing to full potential without a good bit of amp driving them. When I bought mine, I has a 60W Sumo doing the deed, when I switched to an Adcom 555 I was blown away by the additional control. Buying used at this price point allows you many choices. Good luck.
If you have the room, amp power, and a sub, maggie mmgs for $550 are tough to beat.
I put a second in for the B&W 302sII. Great, accurate sounding speaker, easy to drive. Can find them for at least as low as $510.
Epos Es 11's, or ES 12's if your room is fairly small. Several steps up the ladder from the B&W's, IMO, but more expensive too. 400-500 used, plus stands. Superb midrange.