Best solid-state amp made anywhere

I'd like to open up this "best of" to include amps from New Zealand, Canada, France, England, Germany and (my personal favorite) Italy, as well as whoever else I've left out (no extraterrestrial amps, please). I have spent some time with the most amazing solid state amp - made by Aloia of Italy and uses an inductive (!) power supply. These amps have a naturalness and ease I haven't previously encountered in solid state, not even Pass or Claytons. Have you noticed that the Italians make superb audio equipment? In this country, audio engineering is to engineering as podiatry is to medicine. It just doesn't typically draw the cream of the crop. In Italy music matters far more, and audio equpiment is designed by people who will make an opera singer sing her part over if they aren't satisfied with her performance. Well enough sociology - what's your vote for best solid state amp?
captain_imho
I have to comment on the Linn amps. While i heard them at Hi-Fi '99, the entire Linn system sounded extremely bland, lifeless, dull and boring. It exhibited no sense of pace, rhythm or timing whatsoever. If that was how all audio / music systems sounded, i would watch a HELLUVA lot more tv !!! After their head salesgeek gave his 20-30 minute schpiel to a good sized crowd, he proceeded to play some music. Keep in mind that this system used their $20K CD player and SIX of their Klimax amps ( 3 per channel ). Within the first 5 minutes of song, over 60% of the crowd had gotten up and walked out. It was that disgusting sounding. And since i'm throwing stones towards that part of the world, the two different Naim rooms also sucked horribly. I'd also like to agree that the little Forte' 4A is a vast overachiever, but if i did that, their prices might go up and i still need another one : ) Sean >
Take a listen to Plinius from NZ. I heard the 8150 integrated and I was hooked. Then, I bought a SA-100...wow! Magic! They are so good, I'm going to look at the new Pre's. They are the BEST for their price, no doubt about it.
Linn sound is "neutral!" It doesn't sound "horrible" or "bad", it just sounds as recorded music does! The same goes with the Krell gear. But some folks, enjoy more "colored" sound, and it is not anything wrong with that, either!