Best Receiver?

I’m setting up a second system with a set of stand mount speakers and a nice Garrard 301 and want a tuner built in, rather than an integrated amp. Of all the receivers, vintage and more recent, what’s the best sounding? I always thought those massive Marantz etc looked great but didn’t sound particularly good. Anyone have experience with something that sounded great?

dhcod

I have two suggestions based on my experience - The first is my MAC6700.  250 watts per channel and a really nice DAC, analogue inputs and beautiful sounding 250 watt McIntosh amps inside.  I use it in a hybrid home theater setup where I use Passthrough mode to power the main L and R of my home theater system and I couldn't be happier.  I do RARELY use the tuner, as my streamer has "Tunein" radio which is a streaming app that pulls the digital signals from my local stations and also a ton of radio markets across the country.

And this will be controversial here - but I just got an Onkyo RZ-50 for my living room and - WOW.  Brilliant for home theater and really, really nice 2 channel as well.  DIRAC needs to come standard on more two channel or 2.1 systems in my opinion.  Huge benefits.  

Happy shopping! 

I have a Marantz sr5006,Pioneer vsx80,Yamaha rx-a3070 and a Anthem mrx-540.I use all of them accept the Marantz because I don’t have enough speakers.Anthem sound the best.It has a awesome calibration system.

Years ago, I had a Pioneer that sounded good; It looked good too with wood sides. It finally burned out and I replaced it with a Harman Kardon that I'm really fond of. I still use the Harman Kardon today to drive my Altec Lansing Voice of the Theaters. This has turned into my secondary system although I cannot fault the sound. My primary is Conrad Johnson with Theil speakers, also very good sound.

Vintage sansui G.  pioneer sx. 

Nad. Yamaha cr. Realistic sta 2100d.  Concept 16.5. Fisher 500c. Marantz  kenwood.  Can't go wrong with any if these vintage receiver's