Best Preamp for under $1750.00

Seeking recommendations for a preamp in the $750 to $1750 range. Balance of system consists of Aerial 8's, Bryston 7B's, and CAL CL-15. Room acoustics and speakers would favour lean over lush; I'm looking for something musical without being on the "warm" side. Music preferences include acoustic, jazz, and rock. Will re-cable according to final selections
emmett
I'm happy with my BAT VK3i for <1k line only used, up to about 1500+ w/phono and remote. Uses the ever popular 6922s (4) and 6V6 (2). Awesome customer service.
everybody knows melos is yunk, unreliable, poor service, etc. yust ask leafs! ;~) but, of all the pre's mentioned here, only the joule electra la 100 mklll wood be of any interest to me, to audition it against my melos music director. i'd be innerested in the cat, but no remote-control wolume makes it a non-starter for me...

doug s.

I got my AR LS2 used for $765. If you prefer a brighter sound, just use Telefunken tube in it. The best part, it only need one tube.

Jack
Dekay, I have talked with two people that have great things to say about Placette preamps. Could be a good way to go with SET amp.