BEST LOW VOLUME FULL RANGE SPEAKERS?

I LISTEN TO MOSTLY INSTRUMENTAL CLASSICAL AND JAZZ AT PRIMARILY LOWER VOLUME LEVELS. MASTER BEDROOM=AROUND 210 SQUARE FEET WITH GOOD ACOUSTIC PROPERTIES.
1) I WOULD LIKE FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS WITH GOOD BASS INTO 20HZ RANGE THAT DO NOT REQUIRE SEPARATE SUBWOOFERS.
2) THE SPEAKERS SHOULD LOOK GOOD (WAF)AND SHOULD NOT BE TOO BIG,SMALLER THAN 4.5 FEET IN HEIGHT.
3) I COULD SPEND AS MUCH AS 10K OR MORE, BUT WOULD LIKE TO FIND A USED OR DEMO PAIR FOR MUCH LESS THAN THAT.
4) AT THAT MUCH MONEY, THE SPEAKERS SHOULD HAVE GREAT DETAIL, AND THEY SHOULD NOT BE LACKING IN ANY AREA.
I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS. MY ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT SHOULD NOT BE A FACTOR.
REGARDS,
JOHN
jhwalker
Sorry about the caps. As Nrchy, Avguy, and others have flamed me about. I think I had just placed an ad which I used all Caps for effect, and this carried over to my post. I get the point, and I promise to be good from now on.
John
Thank you, Glide3 and Jacytoy.

I am more than a little curious about the DNM equipment. They offer a lot of interesting ideas in terms of their approach. Can you please share with me a bit of your insight as to the sonics of these components, Glide3? I hope to one day be able to listen to this company's products.

I have found that tone/loudness controls to be appropriate in many an application, regardless of whether they are accepted by the "experts" or not. That they have become taboo boxes us into a dangerous corner. Given the number of audiophiles I encounter listening at low volume, I am most surprised why more companies do not implement good tone/loudness controls, more audiophiles do not use them, and why I see such a faint amount of discussion of the Fletcher - Munson Curve.

My old Jadis Orchestra Reference came with bass and treble controls, and the often came in handy. More often than not, at low volumes, though I tended to listen at about 90 dB+. The DA30 that replaced it does not have these, but instead offers up a most unique sound for today. It sounds incredibly rich and warm, and while they seem to be terms thrown around with abandon, I can assure everyone, the amp sounds like VERY little that is produced these days. What I mean is that there is a most definite weight and body to the bass and lower midrange that exerts exactly the kind of sound that I was alluding to earlier.

THIS has finally led me to be able to listen to music at low volumes in an enjoyable manner. And, it is what has shown me that for the most part, this sound comes not from the loudspeaker, but the amplification of one's system.
Relating to what Nrchy and other have said, I remember 20 + years ago when graphic equalizers were common components. Now you dont even see full bass and treble on some preamps. Wouldnt a good old graphic equalizer help with making low volume sound "more hi-fi"
Mitchell
I gave up on B&W Nautilus series for exactly this reason ... they DEMANDED big watts to let them breathe ... opening up music by factors ... when often I simply wanted to enjoy what they could do without big sound ... simply not possible. Got rid of them, bought subbed Taylo Refs ... of course, that was in 2000, I think, which is code for "a long time ago"
Graphic equalizers usually do more things whong than right. Because the signal has to pass through so many bands of equalization it vails and colors the music in a big way.

Properly designed tone controls concentrate on a small part of the spectrum that makes the most difference. Some manufacturers are also using a tilt spectrum control that acts like an equalization see-saw. It boosts the bass while attenuating the treble or vice versa. I think that the new NAD Masters series integrated amp is selectable between traditional tone controls, tilt, and tone defeat.

When speakers have to be placed in less than ideal locations in a room for livability/WAF reasons the tone controls can be really useful to make the bass a little less congested when it is dictated that the big @ssed speakers will go a little closer to the wall so that decorative knick knacks are not obstructed.