Best female vocals on CD

Want recommendations for Female recordings on CD. Thanks Joe
jwstannese647
I do not know if she has already been mentioned but I recall listening to Laura Nyro in the early 70's and finding her vocals to be quite moving. I have not searched for her on CD but will do so soon. My wife picked up a CD by Vonda Shepard who sings in the bar on the "Ally McBeal" television show. I am not familiar with the show but enjoy her singing and find that she reminds me of Carol King on some of the cuts. Also interesting is Marlene Dietrich - "Live at the Cafe de Paris". It takes a few songs to get past the recording quality (Sony) but eventualy draws your complete attention. This is a little off the track but last night I listened to Gram Parsons "GP/Grevious Angel" a compilation of 20 songs dating as far back as 1973 and featuring Emmylou Harris on backup vocals and it was super, Gram as well as Emmylou. I heard Diana Krall for the first time on the television last week and liked it though I would prefer to just listen and not see her perform. Just ordered one of her CD's from BMG. This is a helpful thread for those of us not in the know and has given me a nice list of things to pick up. Thanks.
Second the votes on Holly Cole - love the entire Don't Smoke in Bed disc. And Diana Krall recordings are rich and lush. Carly Simon is good. Her 3 CD set has some nice rare work. Sara Brightman is good on some numbers too but occasionally she decides to be a real show off and shrieks the upper octaves like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Diana Krall, Holly Cole, and Sara Brightman are all great. I would add to this distinguished list Rickie Lee Jones for her album "POP POP" which is outstanding. In the classical arena I would list Kathleen Battle for her "Live at Carnegie Hall" CD. But this is just for classical music lovers. That is what makes choosing a "Best female on CD" so difficult.
Margo Timmins/Cowboy Junkies on the Trinity Sessions. Probably the best soundstage/live feel.
Looking through my cd collection....only female artists I seem to consistently reach for are Enya, Aretha Franklin, Diana Krall, and Rebecca Pidgeon. Just this evening, opened Etta James "Life, Love, and the Blues" (1998) and know I have found something. Sorry boys, I went out and bought Cowboy Junkies' "Miles From Our Home," and MT just doesn't "do it" for me. And I went and bought a Linda Ronstadt...I mean Jennifer Warnes cd....that is nice as well. Thanks for all the great advice. Charlie