Best budget 5.1 surround receiver and speakers?

5.1 is behind the curve, I admit, but it's good enough for me. For now. Besides, it's cheaper to buy behind the curve. I'm looking for recommendations for the best budget 5.1 sound receiver -- $500 or under used -- and speakers -- $1,000 or under used. Vocal clarity is, of course, essential. Thanks!
pmboyd
I'm building my first home theatre and agree 5.1 is a great cost effective way to start.

My problem is reading too much and wanting the best, without even hearing anything.

I think what's important for us on a budget:

1) Good amp/pre/receiver that can grow as speakers get upgraded
2) Good L/R Speakers and if possible identical centre and rears
3) Self powered sub

If I could do it for $1500 as you suggest I'd be all over that in a second and will read this thread every day.

I've calculated used:
Sunfire 5.1 amp - $1000
Sunfire Sub - $1000
Pre - $?
Speakers - $?

As you can see I'm already $500 over budget with no speakers or pre. Please help. I'm thinking of getting this anyways with really cheap speakers until next year. Am I sick?
I'm not one for these all-in-one box systems but what do you think of this one?

http://www.secondact.biz/product/HTS990THXRB
"Pmboyd":

For a "budget" 5.1 channel surround sound system, then I would try this approach:

Speaker System Packages:

I would first look at Paradigm and PSB (great sound at affordable prices) and then look at their subwoofers. If not, then I would still look at the Paradigm and PSB Speaker Systems and then mate them with a Subwoofer from either HSU (which by the way, their Ventriloquist line of speakers isn't a bad line to look at either) or SVS. Afterwards, if these aren't exactly your cup of tea, then I would also look at some of the more affordable packages from Definitive Technology. But, I would consider the Def Techs a distant fourth after HSU, Paradigm and PSB.

Receiver:

As for a receiver, then not only I would look at Marantz, but I would also check out Denon, Harman/Kardon and then Yamaha. I wouldn't overlook NAD either.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping........

--Charles--
Hands down its the Marantz SR-18EX. While not the flagship and excellent 2-channel stereo capabity of its sister (the SR-14EX) it is really close in all specifications and can be had for about 1/2 the cost of a used 14EX. Agreed on the paradigms for speakers - some mini Energy 5-channel surround systems go for under $400 new and come with an 8 inch sub to boot (I heard one hooked up to a Yamaha surround unit and they sounded great, for the price). ps. don't even consider Bose.