Best Amps for Magneplanar 1.7i Speakers

I have a new pair of Magneplanar 1.7i speakers. Source material is CDs played on an  OPPO 105D disc player, and Qobuz streamed through the OPPO. Current amplification is Rogue Audio Sphinx (version 1). I have an old B&W powered subwoofer (ASW2000)  connected to the subwoofer outputs on the Sphinx. Listening room is about 15’x14’, ceiling height 9’. The sound quality is reasonably good but at times it feels a little underpowered. I’d welcome thoughts  on whether the Sphinx is enough amplifier for the speakers and what other amplifiers (integrated or pre- and power-amp combinations) might work well? Especially interested in views regarding tubes versus solid state. Budget for the amp or amp combo is $4,000 to $8,000. Thanks in advance!

kevin1956

Agree with rebuilding the crossover. It is unadulterated junk. Asi Teknology rebuilt mine and put the crossover in an external box. Tremendous upgrade.  I also ran Canary monoblock tube amplifiers on them and they sounded great.  Tube power was 140 wpc.

lots of people use the odyssey kismet monos,

they really light em up with tons of current, which is what they need/

go with the Magtech by Sanders. never need another amp, will drive aany speaker.

stable to 1 ohm for the maggie dips

Magnepan 1.7 with the Bryston 4B3 & EAR 868

I quit looking for new gear a long time ago...sublime.  

Edit: It is far too easy to overlook the importance of the preamp and the combination of the 3 need to be right.  

i have felt that while sanders and bryston amps surely have the ’balls’ to drive maggies well, to my ears they lack the last desired dose of refinement, tactility and fullness/bloom that i feel is very beneifical for maggies (in this category i include amps from spectral, levinson/proceed, non class a krells and so on) -- we all hear differently, have different tastes, but this has been my own experience

that said, current gen maggies big and small are thankfully voiced sonewhat warmer/fuller than earlier ones from years ago, but are they remain quite demanding in terms of needing to be fed very pure treble and mids

i still prefer solid state amps from pass labs (ideally high class-a biased ones), hegel, ayre, accuphase and that ilk, that bring an exceptionally high level of treble purity and refinement to the sound (alternatively, tube/ss hybrids can often do very very well with maggies)