Basics for connecting PC to stereo

I am only using CDs to listen to music on my stereo. I would like to start to use my computer to be the source of my music for both convenience and I have some music only in mp3 or wav due to the unavailability of the music in CD format (example dj spooky remixes).

I have yet to find a basics guide on how to do this but I am hoping I have been looking in the wrong places and some of you know where it is.

I have a low budget stereo for an audiogon user (which is high budget for the general public), no standalone DAC, and am hoping to make the transition for under $1000, but willing to go $1500.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dominic
discgolfer
I can't help you w/details about the best digital formats or software for storing music on your computer hard drive -if that is what you mean but listening from a computer is pretty easy. I'm just using an ASUS netbook. Kimber cable w/USB from netbook to Mobile Fidelity V-DAC. RCAs from V-DAC to pre-amp inputs. Warm up the amp, pull up Pandora on the netbook and listen. Can also listen to downloaded music files. Got the V-DAC & Kimber cable from Audio Advisor. Got the Asus from Amazon. Everything for around $700, if I recall. (Other computer/DAC combinations might give you better interconnect options; some folks don't like USB.)