BALANCED VS UNBALANCED

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT I NEED TO KNOW WHEN SHOPPING FOR AMPS AND PREAMPS AND CONCERNS OBOUT THIS TECHNOLOGY.IS IT ONLY CABLE TYPES OR MORE TO IT,I WILL BE USING A CARVER AV705X OR ADCOM GFA7500 AMP WITH MARANTZ AV550 PREAMP,,PLEASE EXPLAIN...
mspurbeck
Dlcockrum writes:
I find it puzzling that Metralla is so negative toward 'balanced' equipment, yet he has a BALANCED AUDIO TECHNOLOGY PREAMP that is fully differentially-balanced.
I'm not negative towards balanced equipment at all. My modified SACD player has a custom fully-balanced output stage built by Ric Schultz feeding the BAT, which as you pointed out, is also balanced.

I just felt, with the equipment the original poster listed and the price range he was aiming at, that he may be seduced by marketing speak regarding balanced cables and equipment at the lower end of the price range. You covered the pitfalls yourself.

Regards,
Metralla,

Got it. I'm with you. I am also a big fan of fully diffentially-balanced equipment (Ayre, Krell) and XLR cables and I just thought that if someone misunderstood your post, they might avoid going the balanced route entirely.

It's all good. Thanks for the clarification.