B&W 803S Speakers

The other day, I auditioned the B&W 683 speakers and was very impressed. I wanted to also audition the 803S, to compare, but the dealer did not have any in stock?

To all B&W 803S owners, please provide feedback concerning these speakers. Also, how do these compare to the 683?

By the way, would the 803S work well in a 12'x14' room?
agiaccio
I listened to both, for the money, I thought the 683s were pretty nice. The increase to the 803S' seemed a waste, they were rather flat sounding by comparison. I don't think they were flat sounding as in a neutral way, just flat sounding as in lifeless. I am still considering the 683s for a second set up.
The 803S in a small room (12' x 14') could be overkill. The 683s are far more affordable and would be all you really need.

That's interesting about what Gsxr750ccs states about the 803S being lifeless. Here we have the 803S at approx $3K per speaker vs the 683s at $750.00 per speaker. Huge difference in price.
Hmmm... I find the 803s much better than the 683. But it is a big price jump! They image much better and have tighter bass. The highs also have wider dispersion.

But for your room the 803s would be way too much. I had a pair of 703s in a 12x11room (during a move transition) and I could not get the bass under control. Plugging the ports helped. But the real problem is if you move the speaker far enough out from the walls to get the bass under control the sound stage would compress and not sound right.

Anyway you should add the 805s to your list too. They are very good and would be a good fit for your room.