Audible Illusions Modulus 3 Audio Research SP-11

Hello folks out there,

I have heard many consider the Audible Illusions Modulus 3 as their reference piece against the Audio Research Sp-11 or Sp-15.

Does anyone own both of these preamps and can tell me if the Audible Illusions Modulus 3 is really that good?
I have heard it almost beats any top preamp out there.

Stefan
stefanovitch
I had a chance to compare both after hours ( more than 6) of warming up time and my hearing says to go with the Modulus 3!
Reason: The Sp-11 has an airy delacy on the top end, but the Modulus 3 is more spacious and liquid and certainly a little more transparent. I assume this is also due to the use of stpped attnuators instead of Alps potentiometers.

So, hope you all are well out there!
Nice to hear that you really like M3.
I got a 10 year old M3B. It sounds better than my Plinius M16P and PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium. The difference is immediate. Wider and deeper sound stage, more clear and transparent sound. One can easily tell the difference in orchestral music. All instruments have their own clear voice and it sounds really like listening live in a concert hall.
I ordered a set of new tubes. Hope it would sound even better with new tubes.
I once had ARC LS3. I don't know how it compares with SP11 or Sp15, but I was not impressed with it.

Yup, even the price for the SP-11 is not the issue the availability of the orginal Fets has essentially dried up. Replacement and matching parts come from middle east and their supply is weak and not to mention the parts don’t last as long as the orginal ones.
Audio Research is not planning to upgrade and provide us with new Fets. Whats a shame!

I have heard a SP-15 in Italy and yeah it is amazing, but those high voltage Fets are no longer available as well. I would say it is a delicay more crisp at the top end, however if you have an Infinity RS Kappa or IRS model you will also like the lquid and transparency of the Audible Illusions giving the Emits, Emims or the L-Emims more space. I found that recapping does also some tricks to get the crispy detail out that you may be missing. Filters against HF in the PS and bypassing main caps will also give you more transparency.
I would say due to the cicutry of the SP-11 or SP-15 crtical listening should be done after hours of warm up. I let my borrowed SP-11 warm up around 5 - 6 hours in the morning and got to the listening session in the atfernoon.
I will go for another Modulus 3 soon.