Are CD players dead

I went to an audiophile meeting today and the owner of the store said Cd's and cd players are dead. He said you need to start learning about computer audio or you will be left behind. Is what he is saying true?
taters
i think you were flamed because of your username. :)

two things i don't understand about these discussions.

1. the whole "no more cds" after 2012 is a rumor. some nameless execs are cited in a news source most people don't regularly read. it's not like it was in the new york times and the major labels have spoken out with an official statement. as it is, this is more like the reports of the world ending with the mayan calendar in 2012. if the world ends, it is likely that cd production will come to a halt, but this little "news" item strikes me as meaningless.

2. why do people have to "take sides" when it comes to cds and computer files as sources?

if you're like rgs92, with 1000 cds of music that he regularly enjoys listening to and a state of the art cd player, there is no need for him to make computer audio an undertaking, unless he feels like undertaking it and he can do it when and if he feels like it. and if he were to wait 5 years to do so, the technology would have advanced to the point that it would be relatively painless to make any sort of transition.

if you're like me, and have spent more time on computer audio in the past 10 years, why should i upgrade my cd player past a certain point? i might have 500 cds, but they're all ripped into flac and wav files. i have not bought more than a handful of cds in the past 10 years, and most of my new music has been vinyl or digital downloads. of course, the advantage of cds today is that they are inexpensive relative to digital downloads. i just bought two remastered muddy waters cds for $12 on amazon. digital downloads would have cost more, and sacd and vinyl versions would have cost significantly more. i'm satisfied with the cd version, but if i wanted to go over the top, i could purchase the 180g 45rpm or sacd version for $65 to $100.

a number of the manufacturers of equipment seem to be source agnostic and offer the ability to use whatever you want. bryston, linn, naim, esoteric, luxman, etc.

i honestly don't understand all the fuss or the need to proselytize. enjoy your favorite formats. leave others to enjoy theirs. i imagine it's clear to everyone on the forum that audiophiles are a relatively small market for the music industry as a whole and the major labels are going to do what they do to make money and move product. on some of my new vinyl purchases, they offer digital downloads. i've been routinely offered the option of flac files. quality wise, that's fine for me. at my price point of equipment, i don't have any illusions with regard to "absolute sound."

btw, rgs92, coming from an EMM you'll probably need to do a little better than iTunes if you ever decide to get into digital downloads. :) more like jriver or foobar2k on windows and pure music or amarra on mac.
Well said Anonymoustao! My only problem is with those
Downloaders who have this Ultimatum Finality with CD Format! Will it end, yes. Will it end too soon before High
Rez. Downloads have an adequate Music Selection to replace that of CD? We Transform from one Format to the next via
a gradual Music Selection conversion. Why-so people don't lose their Music in the conversion. Regardless if it is
2012 or not, some are really pushing hard for premature end
to CD BEFORE there is adequate High Rez. Download Music
Selection available-leaving many without their Music!
No way.I was a 100% vinyl person from 1963 to 1990.I finally caved and bought a cd player that year.Now I have a decent cd collection to go with my lps. and 45s..Many cds. sound really good, especially if mastered properly try Sundazed Beau Brummels.Also many cds have unreleased cuts on them. I remember the death of the lp all too well, still waiting.Both formats will live on for music afficianados.The everyday person will take the easiest route and buy whatever is the latest.The lemming syndrome.Time will tell,there may be a temporary death knell, but watch, once people think they are obsolete, they will become desireable again.Tube gear comes to mind along with vinyl and old cars.And old cars are in no way better performing than new ones,and I have both and like boyh.
Transition from LP to CD, not the same as transition from
CD to High Rez. Downloads. Why the difference??? Imagine
a severe cutback on all LP production with only a handful
of CD Music Selection available. Imagine that this was the
case at the start of CD, with all LP Music Selection gone
overnight. There would be a complete vacuum of Selection
from either Format. There would be no Music to listen to.
This didn't happen. Why is it happening now during this
Transition? 16/44.1 CD to 16/44.1 Downloads not a step up,
more like a step sideways. MP3/I-Tunes, Step downwards.
You don't have a Format, with enough Music Selection, that
is a step up from CD. Eliminating CD too early will only
create a vacuum. Many will have to give up their Music-
or step sideways, or step down-Unacceptable! You are not
ready to replace the CD yet, do your homework first!