Arcam AVR 300 vs Rotel Seperates

I currently have an Arcam AVR 300 and was looking at the Rotel RMB 1075 and RSP 1068 processor. Can anyone comment if this would be a significan upgrade for the close to $800 cost? My spakers are Paradigm Studio 60's, CC 470 and ADV rears. I am also upgrading the CD player to a Rotel 1072 or 1055 (5 disk). That may be the upgrade I have been needing. Any comments welcome and appreciated
gdoddato7
I dont think there will be a vast improvement. Its all about flexibility. If you get bored with the seperates, you can switch out amps, pre, etc. I dont think the sound is worth 800 upgrade. For that 800, i would upgrade cd player and get a used rega apollo. I owned the 1068-1075 combinaiton and love it for movies but not for music.
If you are itching for more info, check out http://www.htguide.com/forum/ and go to rotel forum. You will probably get a bias response but you will definatley learn the pros and cons of the 1068-1075 combo.
I own a Rotel 1075 amp and 1068 Preamp. I compared them directly to the Arcam AVR300 in my home. My friend owns the Arcam. We also listened to his new Arcam AVR350 the same night.

Associated gear: Proac Response 3.5 speakers, Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun Speaker cables, Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II IC's, Rotel RDV1050 DVD/CD Player, Black Sand Silver Ref V and Violet Power Cords, FIM Stainless Roller Block Isolation Devices.

The Rotel was clearly more powerful than the Arcam 300. The Rotel Separates had more bass slam and punch in the low end. IC's were XLO Reference II. The Arcam mids and highs may have been slightly more neutral. "slightly".

Enter the Arcam AVR350. VERY impressive! It was clearly more refined sounding than my Rotel Separates. The Arcam AVR350 defined instruments more clearly in their own distinct space. Soundstaging and imaging were sweeter on the Arcam as well. Volume differences were almost indistingishable.

After comparing, I wouldn't hesitate to choose an Arcam AVR 350. But the 300 did not possess the same magic and I preferred the Rotel Separates in that contest.