Apple TV Set Up

I would appreciate some advice on my digital streaming issues. 

My system consist of Vandersteen Treo CT, Mimas with DAC, and the older AppleTV Streamer (model A1469). The AppleTV is connected via Ethernet cables. I digitally stream with Tidal from a MacBook Pro via Wifi. The download/upload speed  for my MacBook is about 230/11 Mbps.

The AppleTV has the latest software update. 

Question 1
Every-time I wish to play, I open my MacBookPro, open the "System Preferences", then "Sound", then choose "Apple TV".
Is there a shorter path or can I set up my MacBook differently?

Question 2
My MacBook sometimes looses connection (AppleTV gets disconnected). I then have to manually connect "AppleTV" again. Why does this happen?

thank you all in advance!
kunasan1
Darko has very helpful videos. This one demonstrates a method to connect an Apple iPhone or iPad to a USB DAC using Apple’s Lightning-to-USB adapter.
https://darko.audio/2021/06/the-best-way-to-stream-hi-res-audio-from-apple-music/

I am not aware of an audiophile streaming device that allows the option of installing the Apple Music app. Therefore, to play Apple Music, one needs a device that runs the app or the Apple Music web browser (https://music.apple.com/us/browse). Devices can be: iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Android tablet, Mac or PC computer.

Another option, as you know, is Airplay from a compatible device to an Airplay enabled streamer.

I use a Mac mini as a server/streamer that’s connected to my DAC via USB, and wirelessly via WiFi/LAN. I rarely listen via USB, however. Most of my listening is via WiFi/LAN since my DAC has a network card. If I wanted to use Airplay, then I could use Roon, although I never use this method either...but it’s available.

Jim AKA tomic601 is a fantastic guy!

He helped set up my Vandy speakers in its ideal listening position and spend hours in my house in San Diego. I've seen his system in his summer Carlsbad home. He's in Seattle now, his other home. And he has quite a few systems. Jim knows company founders ie Vandensteeen, Aesthetix, by first names and helped me purchase accessories also. He does this for the genuine love of music and spreading the knowledge. A big shout out to him - I know many others have benefitted from his kindness. We have a session with wine coming up soon.

There is a lot to consider from so many great responses here and I'm going to analyze a little. Your thoughtful /critical responses is very much appreciated. 
You can run directly from your Mac to your Mimas via USB directly however you will need a software program such as Audirvāna. It sounds absolutely amazing actually. 
Apple Music consumer and generally a mac person so i’ve experimented with various options.  TLDR, quality directly correlated to the quality of the DAC i was using.

Apple Music app on Apple TV connected to marantz NR1509, pre-outs to 2.1 system (Rega integrated and magnepan 1.6s).  OK for some casual use, but sound seemed colored.  Tried the marantz option to bypass any EQ applied (can’t recall the name, Pure maybe).  Eh.

Airplay to Bluesound Node2i directly connected RCA to the integrated.  Quality improvement, poor user experience.  Had to reboot the Node2i quite often to connect via Airplay, even on the latest version.  I’d see the Node2i as a airplay option, but wouldn’t connect unless I rebooted it.  Could have been some weird wifi issue (run a Google mesh), but i gave up after awhile as it was frustrating (didn’t really have any other airplay issues in the house).  Might revisit this one.

post Apple Music Lossless/Hi Res upgrade…

iPad Pro with usb-c port (circa 2019 maybe) with an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt, direct connect via Dragontail usb-c with a 3.5mm to RCA cable into the integrated amp.  Also tried the Dragonfly with a macbook pro directly to the integrated.  Can also use the dragonfly with the apple lightning USB camera dongle (I wasn’t a huge fan of this with the smaller screen and stacked dongles, just awkward).  Soundwise, definitely an improvement over airplay through ATV, and felt like it was better than airplay to the Node2i before i boxed it up (although i didn’t do A/B listening on that option)… i actually liked the ipad better from a user perspective as using the Remote app to control the macbook just wasn’t for me, do too much browsing/listening outside of my catalog, and the donglegate using an iphone was a little off putting.

”What if i had a real DAC (compared to something meant for mobile use with headphones)?”  Although my impression was positive, the dragonfly tested terrible at audioscience review (cobalt in particular).  Made me wonder.  Wondered for about a week and ordered an RME ADI-2 DAC (was going to add one later this year anyway and well… we’ve all been there).  USB from ipad to DAC, RCA into integrated.  Turned it on with defaults figuring i’d read the manual with something on in the background.  Well, maybe a page of the manual was read in the next hour or 2.  Sounded that good.  Clarity, definition, had grip on the mids and bass that wasn’t there before, basically haven’t had the TV on in the last week.  I don’t have sensitive ears, kind of feels like end state as I don’t think i’d get much chasing that last couple percent improvement that might be there.

Side comment, that RME ADI-2 DAC… really impressed.  Literally only complaint would be, wish the remote was backlit.  That’s it.  EQ and balance adjustments on the remote if you want to tweak something, loudness button.  Makes me want to go buy a good set of IEMs to check out the headphone amp.  That said, the Dragonfly USB DAC showed me enough that if you were looking for a budget Apple Music option to integrate high res into a system vs airplay option, the mobile USB DAC option is worth looking at, might just want to look at other options as the Dragonfly Cobalt doesn’t seem to be a value choice.

Feels like there will be some Apple audio announcements this fall.  Lossless AAC or high res Airplay 3.  We’ll see
Oh, and to connect your mac directly to your external DAC via external USB.  Need to configure Audio Midi Setup on your mac (should be in your Utilities folder iirc, i just put it on my dock).  Darko has a nice post on it here

https://darko.audio/2021/06/apple-musics-hi-res-streaming-is-a-bit-of-a-mess/

your mac will not auto change sample rate with Apple Music based on the stream quality, so you need to set the sample rate..l which means you will be upsampling/downsampling depending the the stream quality, so pick your poison.  If you don’t have sensitive ears (like me), me not be noticeable… but you may.

An iPad and iPhone will change the sampling rate automatically