Any SS class A experience to share?

I'm looking to upgrade from my beloved VAC Avatar SE only because I'd like tighter bass. Depth is fine, but I also want "slam". I'm thinking: Tube preamp with a Class A Solid State amp. The VAC is only 30 watts in triode mode and that is more than enough for my efficient JMLab mini utopias, so I'd rather not spend the money on power I don't need. Can anyone out there share their experience with these types of amps, especially when mated to tube preamps such as C-J, VAC, Hovland, Blue Circle, VTL, Asthetix, ...
Ag insider logo xs@2xduddley
I'm running a Pass Labs Aleph 5 with a ARC LS-2B modified by Great Northern Sound. The ARC is a hybrid pre using a single 6922 tube. I recently compared my GNS-modded LS-2B directly with my friends stock LS-2B and the difference was profound! Both of us agreed the mod was well worth the $750 (standard mod). But that is off the topic. Class A amps do run hot. My Aleph 5 is not too hot to touch, but you wouldn't like to leave your hand on it for more than 10 seconds or so. They draw full power constantly so they do cost more to run. The Aleph 5 pulls 300 watts continuously. I can ONLY speak about my personal experience with this one single class A amp as most of my audio experience is with tube amps. Of all of the SS I've listened to (and I've listened to $5k amps in comparable systems that are well set-up) the Aleph is the most tube-like SS amp I've ever heard. It pairs off nicely with the ARC and gives a warm, lush sound, and a wide sound stage that actually has some depth as well (most of the SS amps I've heard lack depth when compared to tubes IMO). The Aleph 5 is 60 watts, and does pair off better with higher efficiency speakers. I'm running it now with Silverline SR-17 monitors (GREAT little monitors). At 89db they will let you push them pretty loud, but in a larger space I think I'd like a more efficient speaker to go with them. I don't think this experience is proprietary to all class A SS amps, so YMMV. Hope that helps!
I'm looking to upgrade from my beloved VAC Avatar SE only because I'd like tighter bass. Depth is fine, but I also want "slam". I'm thinking: Tube preamp with a Class A Solid State amp.

Just a question. Where is the hall-mark of quality that only class "A" can give you all of this and "AB" class can not?
Do you think that "AB" class isn't up to the task?
This is just my opinion, but you can loose a lot more than you can gain if you switch without auditioning with your speakers. I think mini utopias are too 'lean' sounding, for my taste, to match them with equaly lean amps. I do not think that ss amp exists, yet, that sounds like a tube amp. But unfortunately there is a plenty of companies that succesfuly made their amps sound like SS (ARC, SF...etc) There is no such a thing as a sure thing, but i would look into Jadis Orchestra integrated amp or any other harmonicaly rich sounding amp. Again, just my opinion!