Amplifier knobs...where to "set" on the clock?

Here is a question that has idled in my head for years...

I have a 1983 M-70 Yamaha separate amplifier...paired with a C-70 pre. On the front of the M-70 are two sets of knobs for output...for the A and B speakers. I have never been sure on where to place the output line...as if on a clock.  A  "tech" friend told me that the knobs should be at straight-up "noon"...(not wide-open at 5:00)  He saying the reason: "Let the preamp do all of the work". Then, I asked the tech who serviced the M-70 and C-70 years later and he told me the knobs should be "wide open" at 5:00. no reason, except that is where they should be set.

Hmmm.

What do the fine people here at Audiogon say to those two opposing opinions?

What a hobby!

Thank you in advance.

vinylspin
vinylspin
Back in the day when the M70 was produced, speakers and equipment were both produced with specs that were questionable at best, and made setting up a system that played well together hit or miss. Being brand specific was the safest bet, and even that didn't always work out. Yamaha came up with a novel approach to part of the problem. 
It depends on which is quieter, your amp or preamp.  At least check the specs.  I would bet it is the amp.
Thank you all for lending your support and advice.  And...since this hobby is fluid and subject to many factors...real or not...including whims and perceptions...please indulge me as I am going to ramble here...in a kind of free-verse-stream-of-consciousness.

I have made a decision to relegate my Yamaha M-70 and C-70 to the second tier position... The separates are beginning to show their age and almost begging to be retired. The right channel is producing less than the left...and I am not going to sink any more loot into the pair.

I am currently using a cheaper and albeit newer Onkyo 50 x 2 TX 8211 receiver.  And...it is a respectable unit...it is sounding better than the Yamaha pair.  I have pulled my Luxman equalizer out of mothballs and fiddled with the settings to give it some acceptable and respectable sonic credibility. 

What is funny about my re-coned Cerwin Vega D-8's... back in 1983, they sold for $800.00 a pair...which is $2,135.00 today.  I noted that an observation made here in the forum told me that my high efficiency (101 db) CV's and 200 x 2 amp were mismatched...not allowing the preamp to perform at its best.  And...since the specs are in question from 1983.. I cannot figure on how to set the gain on the Yamaha M-70.  Since I will always go for high sensitivity speakers (preferably Heritage Klipsch)...I think that a lower wattage amp would be better to have. I am done with the Yamaha pair...though bck in the day...very respectable.

I am looking at the Hana $1200.00 cart. Then that begs the question as to whether I also upgrade my 50 year old Dual 1219.

Yes...this is an expensive hobby... and full of choices...each product basically  has an "upside" and a "downside". For instance...low sensitivity speakers need more power to run...yet,  usually create more lower-end bass.  And...Moving Magnet carts have less detail than Moving Coil...yet MM have what could be considered more "punch".  Upgrading is a puzzle...which makes this hobby so much fun...when all of the stars line up.

What a fascinating hobby.

If you've managed to make it this far in my self-indulgent diatribe / ramblings...thank you.

vinylspin