Amp repair cost — is this right?

I recently sent my Musical Fidelity a308cr power amp off to be recapped. This amp is somewhere around 16-18 years old and one of the power caps failed. I contacted Musical Fidelity and sent it to a repair shop they recommended. Today I received an estimate to replace 18 caps, 8 of which are large power caps, resolder the boards, and re-bias the transistors. Basically a full overhaul. The quote I received, including return shipping (prob around $100) Is over $1,300 which possibly exceeds the value of the amp. That doesn’t include the $115 it cost me to ship it out. Having never had an overhaul done on a power amp like this, I’m wondering if anyone with experience can tell me if this sounds right. I guess I was expecting something more like $600-$800 but I don’t know why since I really don’t have a frame of reference. Perhaps it was the assumption it might be 4 hours labor (say $400) plus max $200 for caps. Is $1,300+ on track? Either way I’m going to be out the shipping cost plus a $160 fee paid for the estimate.
jnehma1
I feel it is too much money to invest into an old piece of stereo electronics.  It is like the old family car.  First the battery, then the alternator, then the water pump then the radiator then the clutch then the oil filter housing then the tranny etc.  At some point you just have to cut your losses and buy a new one and use it for another 15 plus years.  Also, to me it feels like body work on a car, it never comes back from the shop as good fitting and looking as it came from the factory when new.  My two cents.
I just did a 7 year restoration on a car with completely new panels and massive welding and rust repair.  The car drives and rides tighter than new.

You get what you pay for.  And some people don't subscribe to a throwaway, disposable use culture.  These objects (cars, amplifiers, etc) are fixable and are not something you give up on.
I had the same thing happen to me from a shop out of Southern CA.  $1400 to replace a total of 53 capacitors.  I didn't think my old Krell amp had 53 caps!  To add insult to injury, and after the hard sell to get me to pay for it rather than buy a new amp like Pass Labs or Ayre, he told me my amp would be better after they rebuilt it.  Riiight.  When I still refused he offered me $200 for it.  Such snakes.  So I would up buying an Ayre VX-5 Twenty instead.  Cost to do the same work from Ayre?  $300 including shipping it back!  This coming from Ryan Berry (the CEO).  Talk about a company who wants to keep their clients happy even when amps are out of warranty, etc.  So my Krell KAV-250a is just collecting dust because I don't trust anyone to do the cap work honestly.
Simple idea: What can you buy for $1300 that would suit your needs better? Or are you upgrading so that you can sell it for more as a used amp? You haven't listened to it for 2 years, so why not sell it as is and use the $1300 to go to Sandals?