Am I crazy - tube pre-amp with receiver??

Hi - I am a newbie (but avid reader of this forum). I have a newbie-like question which arose from some extrapolating I am doing.

I hear you can use the TAD-150 pre-amp with the TA-30 Integrated amp, by using the TA-150 as input to the TA-30, and just leaving the volume knob of the T-30 turned up. I hear that this is supposed to provide some sort of benefit over using the TA-30 alone. What one gets outside of remote control is not clear to me - but I digress . .

I have an old Harman/Kardon 3400 reciver, who's remote control no longer works.

Now - what would happen if I plugged something like the TAD-150 pre-amp into the H/K, and used by H/K as an amp (just keep the volume turned up)? The desired result is to improve performance, incrementally work towards a better system, and regain my remote control.

Would this work? Would I see any benefit?

This weekend, I was told by a stereo salesperson that one could get the majority of tube amplification benefits by going with a tube pre-amp / SS amplifier. So I am putting 2 and 2 together here, possibly to only get 1. Ha.

Regardless, the whole point is to incrementally upgrade - and this is one way I came up with. Thoughts? Is this stupid / insane / waste of time & money?
matthew_s
What is the difference between a "passive-pre" and an "active-pre"?

Also - what is the definition of a "line stage" amp?

Thanks!
"passive pre": a volume control only (aka "attenuator"), offers no gain. The device can also allow switching b/ween diferent sources. As such, "passive" preamplifier is a misnomer/ contradiction: passive devices do not amplify
"Line stage": (pre) amplification of all sources (cd, tuner, etc) EXCEPT phono. The phono requires a special filter.
Cheers
Thanks.

Two more questions (one objective, and probably subjective):

1) If passive-pre's "work" - why have an active pre? What is it doing?

2) Is it true that one can get the majority of the tube benefit by employing a tube pre-amp with a solid state amp?

Thanks.
1) Mostly a matter of electrical (impedance) matching of devices -- and personal preference, I guess. I only use active preamplification for my phono. None for the rest.
2) Mostly, yes. Tubes are excellent for amplifying low level signals.
Cheers