Alternatives to Klipsch Forte II

I've had so many recommendations for the Forte II. I've never really owned a good pair of speakers, and thus don't know much about them. I like the Klipsch sound and have been seeking this out as a good, budget friendly, versatile speaker that doesn't require a sub.

Can anyone recommend something comparable in the sub $1000 range that will function well without a bass in a home theater setup for music/movies?
buffheman
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Klipsch Quartet. Made in the same style as the Forte II and Chorus II, but with a smaller woofer and cabinet. My listening room sounds like it's about the same size as yours, and my Forte IIs sound awesome. I use them with a modified EL84 P-P tube amp. The soundstage is large and deep, but they're not in your face. I believe that you need to match the amp, speakers and room for optimal sound.

I upgraded my Forte IIs with Bob Crites' crossover repair kit, Titanium tweeter diaphragms and internal wiring. If you can solder, you can perform these upgrades yourself and save a lot of money.
The Chorus II is a very good choice.

For a couple of great reasons:

1.) The 101db sensitivity will give more volume with less power.

2.)The bass is not excessive, but is adequate in movies,

and music. Although not as deep, it is smoother.

3.)Big Sound closer to the Belles sound.

Of course, if you did get a Velodyne 18" HGS

it sure would not hurt at ALL.
Try covering the wood floor , between the speakers and your
listening position , with thick area rugs .

Sometimes bass can be controlled by the speakers involvment with the floor . Raising the speaker off of the floor with air between it and the floor , as with speaker stands , can reduce the amount of bass . And sometimes filling in that space , known as beards , can increase the bass .

Also putting absorbing material on the walls , next to and slightly forward of the speaker side , can reduce the highs a bit and give the illusion of more bass . This can take the form of a blanket or heavy coat for trial and error .

It will really depend on the sound when you get it set up and can determine what you want to add or subtract from that sound . Room treatments can get quite involved...and quite exspensive !

Good luck .